Larger versions of these images are located at the foot of the page.
Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||John Armstrong Lane |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||7 April 1935 |
|Died: ||18 October 2015 |
|Bio Notes: ||John Armstrong Lane was born in Leicester on 7 April 1935. He was educated at Ashby-de-la-Zouche Grammar School. He studied full time for the diploma in architecture at Leicester School of Architecture from 1952-57, sitting the professional practice exam in 1958. That year he took a post with Collins, Melvin, Ward & Partners in London, working as an architectural assistant on a hospital project. He was admitted ARIBA on 7 April 1959, proposed by James Melvin, T A Collins, and S Penn Smith. From 1959 to 1960 he undertook his National Service with the RAF and worked in the drawing office of the Building & Works Department. During National Service he met his future partners Duncan Shearer Bremner and Dennis John Richard Garnett who were also serving with the RAF. In 1960 together they entered and won the competition for Dumbarton County Council offices. |
In January 1961 the practice Lane Bremner & Garnett was formed, with all three as principles in partnership. He was elected ARIAS in 1961.
In 1962 Lane won the Arthur Cates Prize for his work on single storey wide span buildings. In 1964 his entry for the Alexander Thomson Travelling Scholarship was highly commended. The following year he was awarded the Herbert Baker Scholarship (£200) by the Royal Academy, this time for his work (essay?) on the relationship of sculpture to architecture. In 1965 he was a member of the team who prepared 'Glasgow at a Glance' which was written by Andrew McLaren Young and Archie Doak.
The commission for Dumbarton County Offices was completed in 1965. After this Lane specialised in designing schools for ten years, one of which was Kirkhill Primary School in Broxburn which was won in a limited competition. Lane was involved in the very early days of Community Architecture. In Glasgow this mainly involved working with Housing Associations (the first one was Govan Housing Association) on both rehabilitation and new-build projects. He also worked on a range of other building types and before retirement undertook some church restoration work which he found particlarly enjoyable.
From 1962 to 1968 Lane taught one day per week at Glasgow School of Art and each year from 1966-76 gave a series of lectures at the University of Strathclyde. From 1977-96 he was external examiner for Part 3 Architcture at the University of Strathclyde and the Scott Sutherland School of Architecture in Aberdeen.
Lane was elected FRIBA in 1968, proposed by Roger W K C Rogerson, Duncan Bremner and Jack Holmes. He retired in 1996.
Lane was involved by matters relating to the profession through his career. He served as President of the Glasgow Institute of Architects from 1981-83, President of the RIAS from 1984-86, at the same time serving on the RIBA Council. From 1987-92 he was a member of Council of ARCUK. In 1990-92 he was President of Glasgow Art Club; he served on the voluntary management committee of the Key Housing Society from 1989-91 and from 1993 on the council of the Architectural Benevolent Society, being vice chair from 1997 and chair in 2001.
In 1962 Lane married Patricia A Fletcher, a pharmacist by profession. They have two daughters, one of whom is a chartered surveyor and the other a chartered architect.
After retirement he moved to Gatehouse-of-Fleet and now enjoys spending more time with his family. He also enjoys walking, trout fishing, golf (he played rugby for Leicestershire Colleges in his student days) and non-architectural competitions as well as foreign travel.
John could always be picked out in a crowd because of his colourful bow ties!
John Lane died suddenly on 18 October 2015.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Redruth/1, Ridgway Road, Leicester, England||Private||1959 *|| || |
|47, Princes Street, Leamington Spa|| ||1960|| ||per Builder 9 Dec 1960 p1067|
|125, Douglas Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1961||1970|| |
|69, Berkeley street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1970||After 1994|| |
|69, Dixon Road, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1994 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1960||Dunbartonshire County Council Offices||Dumbarton|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland||Won competition and secured job|
|1963||House alterations for Dr Mackenzie|| || || ||Scotland||Alterations|
|1964||Martins Garage||Kirkintilloch|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland|| |
|1965||Office for Cruickshank||Kirkintilloch|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland|| |
|1966||House and entrance road||Tarbet|| ||Argyll||Scotland|| |
|1966||House for J M Galbraith||Loch Lomond|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland|| |
|1967||Arrochar Hotel||Arrochar|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland||Public bar and extension/reconstruction|
|1967||Gartocharn Primary School|| || ||Glasgow||Scotland|| |
|1967||Tennis club||Kirkintilloch|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland|| |
|1968||Kirkhill Primary School||Broxburn|| ||West Lothian||Scotland||Won competition to secure job|
|1968||Service station||Tarbet|| ||Argyll||Scotland|| |
|1968||Tarbet Hotel||Tarbet|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland||Alterations|
|1969||St Joseph's School||Cumbernauld|| ||Lanarkshire||Scotland|| |
|1970s(?)||Vale of Leven Academy||Alexandria|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland||Extension - new blocks added on CLASP system|
|1970||Housing in Langmuir Road||Bargeddie|| ||Lanarkshire||Scotland|| |
|1970||McLays garage and showroom|| || || ||Scotland|| |
|1970||Premises for Usher Walker Printing Inks|| || || ||Scotland|| |
|Before 1970||Depots and other work for Shell and BP|| || || ||Scotland||Modifications and developments at depots|
|Before 1970||Lennox Castle||Lennoxtown|| ||Stirlingshire||Scotland||Supporting architectural services in respect of engineering works.|
|c. 1970||St Joseph's RC Church||Cumbernauld|| ||Lanarkshire||Scotland||Construction in progess|
|1971||Bungalow extensions, Burnside Avenue||Kirkintilloch|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland||Extension|
|1971||Double garage and sauna, Victoria Road||Lenzie|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland|| |
|1971||Factory||Paisley|| ||Renfrewshire||Scotland|| |
|1971||Primary School, Knightsridge||Livingston|| ||West Lothian||Scotland|| |
|1972||Lennox Castle||Lennoxtown|| ||Stirlingshire||Scotland||Alterations - cost £500,000|
|1972||Local Authority housing||Kirkintilloch|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland|| |
|1973||Bishopton Health Centre||Bishopton|| ||Renfrewshire||Scotland|| |
|1973||Deanburn Primary School||Bo'ness (Borrowstouness)|| ||West Lothian||Scotland||Extension|
|1974||Sheltered housing||West Calder|| ||Midlothian||Scotland|| |
|1974||Sheltered housing||Rothesay||Bute||Bute||Scotland|| |
|1974||Tarbet Hotel||Tarbet|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland||Alterations and extensions|
|1975||Bungalow||Bothwell|| ||Lanarkshire||Scotland|| |
|1975||Sheltered housing||Greenock|| ||Renfrewshire||Scotland|| |
|1976||Bungalow conversion for Shaw||Milngavie|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland||Conversion|
|1976||Bungalow extension, Burnside Avenue||Kirkintilloch|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland||Extension|
|1976||Tenements, Arcadia Street|| || ||Glasgow||Scotland||Restoration and conversion of 80 tenements to 62 flats. Job architect.|
|1978||3 housing modernisation schemes for Strathkelvin District Council|| || || ||Scotland|| |
|1978||3 housing schemes||Queens Cross|| ||Glasgow||Scotland|| |
|1978||Central Govan area||Govan|| ||Glasgow||Scotland||Upgrade of 60 closes, backcourts and general area. Joint job architect.|
|1979||Sheltered housing||Port Glasgow|| ||Renfrewshire||Scotland||Sketch scheme|
|1980||Bungalow extensions, Burnside Avenue||Kirkintilloch|| ||Dunbartonshire||Scotland||Further extension|
|1980||Health Centre||Greenock|| ||Renfrewshire||Scotland|| |
|1980||Sheltered housing||Priesthill|| ||Glasgow||Scotland||Sketch plans|
|Before 1981||Adult training centre for Strathclyde Region|| || || ||Scotland|| |
|Before 1981||Sheltered housing schemes for Bield Housing Association|| || || ||Scotland|| |
|1982||St John's and Renfield UF Church|| || ||Glasgow||Scotland||Repairs and restoration|
|1984||Villa, 18 Whittinghame Drive|| || ||Glasgow||Scotland||Restoration. Job architect.|
|1988||Refurbishment of psychiatric wards for NHS|| || || ||Scotland||Refurbishment|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1964||The RIBA Kalendar 1963-64|| || || |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |
|RIBA||1994||A Directory of RIBA Members|| || || |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Builder||9 December 1960|| || ||'Competition Result - Council Offices, Dumbarton, for Dunbarton County Council' pp1067-1071|
|Glasgow Herald||24 October 2015|| || ||Obituary|
|RIAS Quarterly||2015||Winter||Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS)|| |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Courtesy of John Lane||Information sent to Yvonne Hillyard|| ||Sent 2010|
|RIAS, Rutland Square||Records of membership|| || |
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||A no20022, F no6042 (Combined Box 115)|
© All rights reserved. © and courtesy of RIAS.