Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Covell Matthews Partnership Scotland |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1976 |
|Ended: ||1992 |
|Bio Notes: ||The origins of the firm Covell Matthews & Partners was in the practice started in 1937 by Ralph George Covell. He was joined in 1948 by Albert Edward Thurman Matthews when it became Covell & Matthews. In 1960 it changed to Covell Matthews & Partners. The following year an office was opened in Edinburgh followed by others in Glasgow and Aberdeen. |
In 1963 Brian G Falk became a director followed in 1966 by John R G Wheatley and two years later by Charles Tocher Donaldson and Alfred Heasman
In 1972 when Covell retired it became Covell Matthews Partnership. In 1974 A L T Scott and Hector W Morrison was asummed into partnership followed a year later by M M Pottinger and R Ogilvie. In 1976 Covell Matthews Scotland became a separate company within the group; in 1992 the original company was closed down and the Scottish practice became Covell Matthews Architects Ltd.
In the early days Covell Matthews, and then Covell Matthews Partnership, undertook a number of what were important projects in Scotland mainly for clients that were based in London. For these projects Brian Falk was the architect and partner in charge and it involved much travel to and from Scotland. It became increasingly obvious that work in Scotland needed resident architectural practices in Scotland so in around 1963 Covell Matthews set up branch offices in Edinburgh (under Charles Tocher Donaldson) and Glasgow under Albert Heasman. In 1968 Donaldson and Heasman became full Directors (partners) in Covell Matthews Partnership and their offices began to operate as independent offices within the Covell Matthews Group. Later, as a result of the Northern Aberdeen Co-operative project an office was established in Aberdeen under Hector Morrison. In 1975 the Covell Matthews Group further split and Covell Matthews Scotland was formed, which is listed as having offices in Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Orkney and Shetland. The architectural partners/directors of Covell Matthews Scotland were A Heasman, C T Donaldson, M M Pottinger, A L T Scott, H W Morrison, R Ogilvie, J R G Wheatley and Brian Falk. Wheatley and Falk were London based and represented the Head Office interest in the Scottish office.
Apart from those early years when Falk was the architect and planner partner responsible for the design and supervision of about five major Scottish projects run from the London office Falk was only the liaison partner for Scottish office work.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|9, Albyn Place, Aberdeen, Scotland|| || || || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Bailey, Rebecca M||1996||Scottish architects' papers: a source book|| ||Edinburgh: The Rutland Press||p143|
|RIBA||1979||RIBA Directory of Practices 1979|| || || |