Basic Biographical Details

Name: John Ernest Douglas Sanderson (or Douglas Sanderson)
Designation: Architect
Born: 25 August 1925
Died: 21 February 1979
Bio Notes: John Ernest Douglas Sanderson (who practised as 'Douglas Sanderson') was born on 25 August 1925, the son of Harold Wordsworth Sanderson, diplomat, and his wife Doris MAy Black. He graduated MA from the University of Cambridge. He then studied at the School of Architecture, Edinburgh College of Art. He graduated in 1951 and was admitted ARIBA in the same year. He was Andrew N Prentice Bursar in 1954. He was taken into partnership by Eric Hall in 1960. He left in 1967. By 1970 he had set up in independent practice as Douglas Sanderson with an office at 26 Albany Street.

He died on 21 February 1979 at the City Chambers in Edinburgh. He had been married twice, first to Helen Marjery McGregor, and second to Joy Olive Jacqueline Hawkins or Tammes or Humphries. His stepson registered his death.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 424, Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivate1950 *After 1955 
Item 2 of 4Rock House, Calton Hill, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivate/business(?)1960 *  
Item 3 of 426, Albany Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness1970 *  
Item 4 of 421, Esplanade Terrace, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness(?)1979 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 1Eric Hall & Partners (Eric W Hall & Partners)19601967Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 141960sCivic SquareTranent East LothianScotland 
Item 2 of 141960sRoyal Edinburgh Hospital, adolescent unit  EdinburghScotland 
Item 3 of 141960sSecondary SchoolKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 4 of 141960Currie High SchoolCurrie MidlothianScotland 
Item 5 of 141961Dornoch Higher Grade School and headmaster's houseDornoch SutherlandScotland 
Item 6 of 141962Group of houses, Longstone Road  EdinburghScotland 
Item 7 of 141962Haddington Central Area redevelopmentHaddington East LothianScotland 
Item 8 of 141964Preparatory School for Girls, St George's School for Girls  EdinburghScotlandBegan the commission. Completed when practice amalgamated by Alan Reiach.
Item 9 of 141965General Post Office  EdinburghScotlandAlterations to public office
Item 10 of 141965St Mungo's Church and hallCumbernauld LanarkshireScotland 
Item 11 of 14c. 1969High Street and Newbigging redevelopmentMusselburgh East LothianScotland 
Item 12 of 14After 1970Health CentreLivingston West LothianScotland 
Item 13 of 14After 1970Royal Bank of ScotlandBerwick-upon-Tweed NorthumberlandEngland 
Item 14 of 141972Royal Bank of ScotlandDumbarton DunbartonshireScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 4Bailey, Rebecca M1996Scottish architects' papers: a source book Edinburgh: The Rutland Pressp135
Item 2 of 4RIBA1964The RIBA Kalendar 1964-65   
Item 3 of 4RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970   
Item 4 of 4RIBA1979Directory of members   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2H M Register HouseDeath Register  
Item 2 of 2Interview with Eric Davidson, 20 October 2010Information to Yvonne Hillyard