Basic Biographical Details

Name: Dick Peddie & McKay
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: c. 1955
Ended:  
Bio Notes: The partnership of Dick Peddie, McKay & Jamieson originated in the merger of the practices of Dick Peddie Todd & Jamieson and Richardson & MacKay in 1942. This was as a result of the practice conditions during the Second World War: John Ross McKay had secured a lot of war work, perhaps more than he could find staff for. He quickly became the leading partner, particularly so after the death of William James Walker Todd on 29 April 1944, after which the firm continued as Dick Peddie, McKay & Jamieson.

Of the remaining partners, David John Chisholm (born 1884) died on 27 July 1949 and George Lindsay Auldjo Jamieson (born 1905) retired early c.1954. Not long thereafter McKay became ill and was hospitalised at Craig House. The practice was continued by McKay's chief assistant Stanley W Edgar as Dick Peddie & McKay. Jamieson's chief assistant, Stanley Kennedy, left the practice and moved to work for the Royal Bank where he remained for the rest of his career. Further partners were subsequently taken into the practice: Ian Scott Duncan, Ronald R Malcolm, Colin R Campbell, Norman J Millar and Mike Henderson.

Jamieson died shortly before 25 October 1976. He was survived by his wife, Jean M Auldjo Jamieson, and also by a daughter, Mrs D E Roberts of Moidart House, Currie and a son, Peter L Auldjo Jamieson who lived in London.

The practice archive was purchased by RCAHMS in 1999.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 18, Albyn Place, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness1964 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 10Thomas Stanley Aitchison Kennedyc. 19551966Partner 
Item 2 of 10Stanley White Edgarc. 19551974Partner 
Item 3 of 10Ronald McDonald Malcolm1966 Associate 
Item 4 of 10Colin Robert Campbell1970s Architect 
Item 5 of 10Norman J Millar1970s Architect 
Item 6 of 10Ian Scott Duncan or Scott Duncan1970 *After 1980Partner 
Item 7 of 10Ronald McDonald Malcolm19751981Partner 
Item 8 of 10Ronald McDonald MalcolmBefore 1979 Partner 
Item 9 of 10Gordon Thomas BrownEarly 1970s Assistant 
Item 10 of 10Michael Charles Henderson1980s Apprentice 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 451959Whitburn Parish ChurchWhitburn West LothianScotlandRebuilding after fire
Item 2 of 451960sCentral area redevlopment for Royal, London & Lancashire and Scottish Equitable Insurance Companies  EdinburghScotland 
Item 3 of 451960sChurch hallMorningside EdinburghScotland 
Item 4 of 451960sChurch hallDavidson's Mains EdinburghScotland 
Item 5 of 451960sFactoriesBathgate West Lothian  
Item 6 of 451960sFire StationBathgate West LothianScotland 
Item 7 of 451960sMoir & Baxter motor showroom  EdinburghScotland 
Item 8 of 451960sOld people's homeLiberton EdinburghScotland 
Item 9 of 451960sPlessey Scottish Headquarters, office and factoryBathgate West LothianScotland 
Item 10 of 451960sRoyal Bank of ScotlandJuniper Green EdinburghScotland 
Item 11 of 451960sRoyal Insurance Group officesKirkcaldy Fife  
Item 12 of 451960sThe Blue Blanket restaurant  EdinburghScotland 
Item 13 of 451960sThe Cavalier restaurant  EdinburghScotland 
Item 14 of 451960154-166 Canongate, including Sugarhouse Close  EdinburghScotlandAlterations for Scottish Brewers
Item 15 of 451964Scottish Equitable Life Assurance Company, computer buildng  EdinburghScotland 
Item 16 of 451969Liverpool London & Globe Insurance Office  EdinburghScotlandReconstruction
Item 17 of 451969Royal Bank of Scotland branchForfar AngusScotland 
Item 18 of 451970sChurch hall  EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 19 of 451970sFactories laboratories and advance factoriesFalkirk West LothianScotland 
Item 20 of 451970sFactories laboratories and advance factories  EdinburghScotland 
Item 21 of 451970sGullane Golf Club HouseGullane East LothianScotlandAlterations and extensions
Item 22 of 451970sHart Street and St Andrew Square  EdinburghScotlandRestoration and New Town Conservation work
Item 23 of 451970sHousing Association work  EdinburghScotlandRehabilitation work
Item 24 of 451970sMuirfield Golf CourseGullane East LothianScotlandAlterations and extensions
Item 25 of 451970sPrivate residences   Scotland 
Item 26 of 451970sRoyal Bank of Scotland branchLanark LanarkshireScotland 
Item 27 of 451970sWarehouse for Computer Supplies CompanyBo'ness / Borrowstouness West LothianScotland 
Item 28 of 45197024 St Andrew Square  EdinburghScotland 
Item 29 of 451975Boots the Chemist  EdinburghScotlandExtension
Item 30 of 451975Roseburn Free Church  EdinburghScotlandAlterations to form Bible Society offices
Item 31 of 451977Bush House  MidlothianScotlandConsultant architects for the care and maintenance of buildings on the Bush Estate. Phase 1 of development was courtyard dining room
Item 32 of 451979Synagogue, Salisbury Road  EdinburghScotlandDivision of interior at gallery level.
Item 33 of 45Late 1970sBoots the Chemist shopAlloa ClackmannanshireScotland 
Item 34 of 45Late 1970sBoots the Chemist shopNairn NairnshireScotland 
Item 35 of 45Late 1970sBoots the Chemist shopDingwall Ross and CromartyScotland 
Item 36 of 45Late 1970sBoots the Chemist shopHamilton LanarkshireScotland 
Item 37 of 45Late 1970sDrummohr HousePrestonpans East LothianScotlandStabling and dressage area
Item 38 of 45Late 1970sWindsor Hotel and Shops, 100 -100A Princes Street  EdinburghScotlandRedevelopment of club
Item 39 of 45Mid 1970sLuffness Mains FarmAberlady East LothianScotlandRestoration of farm cottages
Item 40 of 45c. 1980Boots the Chemist shopJuniper Green EdinburghScotland 
Item 41 of 45c. 1980Boots the Chemist shopForfar AngusScotland 
Item 42 of 45c. 1980Boots the Chemist shopLanark LanarkshireScotland 
Item 43 of 451981Bush House  MidlothianScotlandApiary conversion to offices
Item 44 of 45198215-37 Bernard StreetLeith EdinburghScotlandGeneral repairs
Item 45 of 451986Tenements, Caledonian Crescent/Road/Place  EdinburghScotlandRestoration

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Bailey, Rebecca M1996Scottish architects' papers: a source book Edinburgh: The Rutland Pressp132