Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Stanley Anderson Mitchell |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: || |
|Died: || |
|Bio Notes: ||Stanley Anderson Mitchell studied for the diploma in architecture at the School of Architecture, Robert Gordon's College, Aberdeen. He was elected ARIBA in 1961. It is not yet clear where he worked from 1961 to 1968 (perhaps as an assistant with Wittet) but in the latter year he joined the Wittet practice as partner. |
John Wittet of Elgin, who had been in partnership with Alexander and William Charles Reid from 1893 and practised on his own from 1903, made his son William a share partner in his firm on 1 January 1928, the practice name changing to J & W Wittet. William had been articled to his father from 1919 and had been assistant from 22 January 1923 and a salaried partner from 1 January 1925.
William was admitted LRIBA in early 1932, his proposers being Robert Leslie Rollo, Robert Gordon Wilson Junior and James Lochhead.
In the 1930s and 1940s the Wittets had an office in Skye, probably continuing the Highland and west coast practice established by William Reid.
John Wittet died on 18 March 1952, William continuing the practice thereafter under its existing name. In 1962 Neil Simpson was assumed into partnership followed in 1968 by Stanley Anderson Mitchell. Mitchell was elected ARIAS in 1965.
In 1973 an office was opened once again on the Isle of Skye in the Pier Hotel, Broadford. The following year the office moved to the home of the assistant in charge, Bill Simpson, at 12 Scullamus and it moved again in 1974 to the Old Post Office Buildings, Broadford. In 1975 on the departure of Bill Simpson, Magnus Gunnarsson took over as assistant in charge. He was assumed into partnership two years later.
The practice continued to flourish, becoming a limited company in 1986, having moved to 26 Hay Street, Elgin, and the name becoming Wittets Ltd. Stanley Mitchell became managing director.
By 1994 Mitchell had retired (he is no longer listed in the RIBA directory of that year.)
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|6, Moss Street, Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland||Business||1960||After 1984|| |
|Bon Accord, Academy Street, Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland||Private||Before 1960||After 1970|| |
|26, Hay Street, Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland||Business||1986|| || |
Employment and Training
|The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|J & W Wittet||1962||After 1981||Partner|| |
|Wittets Ltd||1980s||1990s||Partner|| |
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Bailey, Rebecca M||1996||Scottish architects' papers: a source book|| ||Edinburgh: The Rutland Press||p103|
|RIBA||1961||Kalendar 1960-61|| || || |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |
|RIBA||1979||Directory of members|| || || |
|RIBA||1984||RIBA Directory of members|| || || |
|RIBA||1994||A Directory of RIBA Members|| || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIAS, Rutland Square||Records of membership|| || |