Basic Biographical Details

Name: Thomas Munro & Co
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: Before 1970
Ended:  
Bio Notes: The practice was established initally by Thomas Munro in 1898. At his death in 1930 his cousin John Munro moved to Inverness by 1939 to take over the practice. He ran the practice until Thomas Munro's son, Ian, and his wife Joan, took over the practice in 1948. Joan Munro, who was trained as both architect and town planner, left the practice in 1952 to start a family and was replaced as partner by John H Chitty. However she had returned to the practice by 1970. Chitty remained with the firm until 1984. In 1981 Ian's son, Colin, joined the practice and was taken into partnership in 1984. It is as yet unclear when the practice name became Thomas Munro & Co. but certainly before 1970.

TEMPORARY SKELETON RECORD

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 162, Academy Street, Inverness, Inverness-shire, ScotlandBusiness1970 *After 1981 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4Ian Archibald Munro1948 Partner 
Item 2 of 4Joan Margaret Munro (Mrs)1948 Partner 
Item 3 of 4Howard John Chitty1 November 1951 Partner 
Item 4 of 4Colin Ian Munro1984 Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 18After 1948Braelangwell HouseResolis Ross and CromartyScotlandAlterations?
Item 2 of 18After 1948Glenalbyn BarInverness Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 3 of 18After 1948Morvich LodgeRogart SutherlandScotlandReconstruction
Item 4 of 18After 1948Teaninich HouseAlness Ross and CromartyScotlandAlterations?
Item 5 of 18After 1948Tressady LodgeRogart SutherlandScotlandReconstruction
Item 6 of 18After 1948Warehouse for Mr F A CameronInverness Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 7 of 181960sFactory for A I WeldersInverness Inverness-shireScotlandExtension
Item 8 of 181960sNess-side HouseInverness Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 9 of 181960sTransport Depot for MacBraynesFort William Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 10 of 181966Inverness Railway StationInverness Inverness-shireScotlandModernisation of passenger station
Item 11 of 18c. 1971Territorial Army Association CentreInverness Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 12 of 18Before 1975Hamiltons Auction MartInverness Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 13 of 181979Cromarty Parish Church and hallCromarty Ross and CromartyScotlandRestoration
Item 14 of 18Before 1981Army Cadet Force Dormitory Unit Inverness Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 15 of 18Before 1981British Legion ClubInverness Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 16 of 18Before 1981Highlands and Islands Development Board Advance Factory Units  Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 17 of 18Before 1981Royal Insurance officesInverness Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 18 of 181983Rosemarkie, Church and manseRosemarkie Ross and CromartyScotlandRepair and restoration

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Bailey, Rebecca M1996Scottish architects' papers: a source book Edinburgh: The Rutland Pressp100
Item 2 of 3RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970   
Item 3 of 3RIBA1981Directory of Practices 1981