Larger versions of these images are located at the foot of the page.
Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Henry ('Harry') James Lyall Mantell |
|Designation: || |
|Born: ||11 December 1939 |
|Died: || |
|Bio Notes: ||Henry James Lyall Mantell was born on 11 December 1939 in Lusaka, Northern Rhodesia, the son of Henry Percy Mantell, superintendent of the African Lakes Corporation Stores, Northern Rhodesia and his wife, Barbara Anne Mantell, a teacher. His early education was through the Salisbury Correspondence School and was supervised by his mother. He later attended a school for European children founded by his mother in Abercorn, Northern Rhodesia but spent one year, 1946-47, in Macduff Infant School. From 1951-57 he attended Banff Academy where he was Dux in Art in 1956. |
From 1957-63 he studied at the Scott Sutherland School of Architecture, Aberdeen spending two years part-time and four years full-time. He won the Governor’s Prize for Building Construction in 1961. From 1957-58 he worked along with his studies as a trainee with Aberdeen City Architect’s Department. He was awarded the diploma in architecture in 1963. In 1963 he moved to Edinburgh as an assistant with Stanley Ross-Smith & Jamieson. He was elected ARIBA in 1965.
On 3 March 1966 Mantell married Margaret Ollason Stewart. The couple have one son.
Mantell then went to Australia and spent a three-year spell as assistant architect with the New South Wales Public Works Department in Sydney. In Australia he was involved with various siting and design projects associated with New South Wales Country Primary Schools section and with the research and report on the New South Wales country school central lending library project.
In 1969 they returned to the United Kingdom and Mantell took a post as senior architect with Bedfordshire County Architect’s Department where he remained until 1973. He worked on various projects in the Lower School section of the County Architect's Department. During his stay in Bedford, he was, for a time, secretary of the Bedfordshire Association of Architects.
He returned to Banff in 1973 as chief assistant to J J Meldrum, architect and surveyor. He became a partner in 1975 and remained as such until Meldrum’s retirement in 1987 when he became sole principal. The practice specialised in conservation work and were involved in restoration schemes of many buildings in the north of Scotland. Mantell has prepared quinquennial inspections for the National Trust for Scotland on many of their northern properties and carried out similar inspections for private clients of Gordon Castle Tower, Fochabers and Dunecht. From 1987-2007 quinquennial inspections were also carried out for the Church of Scotland and the Episcopal Church.
In 2004 Michael Ritchie joined as partner, the practice title becoming Mantell Ritchie. Mantell retired in 2005 though he remained a consultant for a few years thereafter.
Outwith his professional life, Mantell was chairman of the Banff Round Table from 1977-78. He was a member of the Rotary Club of Banff and was president from 1989-90.
In Banff, he was closely associated with the activities of the Banff Preservation and Heritage Society, serving as a committee member and for a time as treasurer. He was also a member of the Banff Renassance THI Board and was also a Management Committee member of the North-East Scotland Preservation Trust.
Mantell enjoys watercolour and pen and ink sketching, sport and travel. He has presented talks on architectural topics to local organisations and prepared articles for publication.
Particularly following retirement, he has collaborated with others in publications such as 'Banff and Buchan, an Illustrated Architectural Guide' and 'The Book of Banff'. He was also involved in the preparation of books published by the Banff Preservation and Heritage Society including 'Banff Through Time', the second volume of 'St Mary's Kirkyard, Banff' and in 2015, 'The Carved Stones of the Royal Burgh of Banff'.
In 2015, Mantell and his wife moved permanently to live in Edinburgh.
The following are a list of the awards received by Meldrum and Mantell and Mantell Ritchie
1975 Architectural Heritage Year Award.
1975 Saltire Society Award.
1978 Civic Trust Award.
!992 Civic Trust Special Mention (12 North High Street, Portsoy).
2004 Aberdeenshire Design Awards - Highly Commended for Conservation (Banff Castle Ancillary Buildings).
2004 Aberdeenshire Design awards – Commended for Conservation (The Banff Aisle).
The follwing additional qualifications were gained by Mantell:
1998 – RIAS Conservation Accreditation (level 3)
2003 – RIAS Conservation Accreditation (level 4)
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this :|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|32, Birkdale Road, Bedford, Bedfordshire, England||Private||1970||1973|| |
|Flat 2/27, Pemberley Avenue, Bedford, Bedfordshire, England||Private||c. 1970|| || |
|30, High Street, Banff, Banffshire||Business||1973||1989||From 1989 became home address after conversion until 2015.|
|3, George Street, Banff, Banffshire, Scotland||Private||1974 *||1989|| |
|27A, High Street, Banff, Banffshire, Scotland||Business||1989||2005|| |
|11/33, Western Harbour Midway, Edinburgh, Scotland||Private||2015|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|This was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1963||Loaningdale Approved School||Biggar|| ||Lanarkshire||Scotland||As job architect with Ross-Smith & Jamieson, working on site.|
|1966||Pleasant Heights Public School||Woolongong|| ||New South Wales||Australia||As Assistant Architect with NSW Public Works Department|
|1969||Biggleswade Registrar's Office||Biggleswade|| ||Bedfordshire||England||As senior Architect with Bedfordshire County Architect's Department.|
|After 1973||41-47 High Street||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Restoration|
|After 1973||Delgatie Castle, forester's cottage||Turriff|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Reconstruction|
|After 1973||Delgatie Castle, Home Farm Steading||Delgatie|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Conversion|
|After 1973||Delgaty Castle, East Lodge||Turriff|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Restoration|
|After 1973||Fishing Temple||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Restoration scheme proposals|
|After 1973||Town and Country Club||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Alterations|
|1975||Braco Banking House||Elgin|| ||Morayshire||Scotland||Restoration|
|1975||Premises, 5a, 7, High Street||Elgin|| ||Morayshire||Scotland||Restoration and conversion to flat and shops|
|1980||29-35 High Street||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Restoration, extension and development|
|1980||St Drostan's Rectory||Old Deer, Peterhead|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Conversion to hotel|
|1982||Tombain steading||Aberlour|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Conversion and extension of steading|
|1985||No 26 Pennan||Aberdour|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Alterations and extension|
|1986||Blairmore House||Glass|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Phased extensions to form rooftop flat and new Arts & Crafts facilities|
|1986||House, 12 North High Street||Portsoy|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Restoration of early 18th century house|
|1987||Church of Scotland||Gardenstown|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Extension- Session Hall|
|1990||Culvie Home Farm||Aberchirder|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Restoration and modernisation|
|1990||Eden House, South Lodge|| || ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Extension and alterations|
|1991||Banff Castle||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Phased restoration work begun|
|1991||Biggar Fountain||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Conservation and restoration|
|1991||Market Arch, Royal Coat of Arms and Mercat Cross||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Conservation and restoration|
|1991||Parish Manse||Oldmeldrum|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Alterations and extensions|
|1992||Macduff Free Church||Macduff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Conversion to Arts Centre|
|1994||Advocates Hall, Concert Hall and Court|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland||Restoration proposals for library; remedial work and decoration|
|1994||Duff House|| || ||Banffshire||Scotland||Restoration of Fife Gates|
|1995||Banff Free Church||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||External remedial work|
|1996||Banff Castle||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Ancillary buildings external restoration|
|1996||Banff Harbour, Quayside Buildings||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Conversion to dwelling house|
|1996||Boyne Castle||Portsoy|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Boyne Castle Doocot Project - pre-tender work for restoration of doocot and formation of woodland walks|
|1996||Castle Fraser|| || ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Alterations and remedial work to stables|
|1996||St Mary's Parish Church||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Kitchen extension|
|1997||Fordyce Castle||Fordyce|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Alterations and conversion to dwelling house|
|1997||Haddo House||Haddo/Methlick|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Restoration and upgrading scheme commenced|
|1997||House, Church Street||Portsoy|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Restoration and refurbishment|
|1997||No 12 The Square||Portsoy|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Porch addition|
|1998||Mission hall||Crovie|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Restoration and conversion to dwelling house and studio|
|1998||St Mary's Cottage||Orton|| ||Morayshire||Scotland||Extension|
|1998||St Mary's Old Parish Church||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Restoration of the Banff Aisle, St Mary's Kirkyard|
|2000||Fordyce Parish Church||Portsoy|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Alterations and remedial work|
|2001||Auchintoul House||Aberchirder|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Alteration and extension scheme|
|2001||Banff Castle||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Interior repairs and redecoration|
|2001||Banff Free School||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Alterations and remedial work|
|2001||Culsalmond Kirkyard, the mort house||Culsalmond|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Restoration - phase 1|
|2001||Durn House||Portsoy|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Alterations and remedial work|
|2001||House and cafe||Cullen|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Alterations and remedial work to house and cafe|
|2002||Cairness House, gatehouse||Fraserburgh|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Remedial work and extension proposals|
|2002||Frendraught House||Forgue|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Remedial work|
|2003||Banff Castle||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Gate lodge refurbishment|
|2003||Frendraught House||Forgue|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Porch extension|
|2003||Fyvie Castle and ancillary buildings||Fyvie|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Restoration of garden store|
|2004||Cromdale Outdoor Centre|| || ||Inverness-shire||Scotland||Refurbishment|
|2004||Druminnor Castle|| || ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Restoration and refurbishment scheme of garden cottage|
|2004||St Mary's Parish Church||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Alterations for the disabled|
|2005||Haddo House||Haddo/Methlick|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Development plan proposals|
|2006||Methodist Church||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Advisory work on refurbishment - as consultant|
|2006||Old Meal Mill||Peterculter|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Restoration feasibility study - as consultant|
|2006||Salmon Bothy||Portsoy|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Restoration and development proposals - as consultant|
|2006||St Andrew's Episcopal Church||Banff|| ||Banffshire||Scotland||Advisory work on refurbishment- as consultant|
|2006||St John's Episcopal Church||Longside|| ||Aberdeenshire||Scotland||Advisory work on refurbishment - as consultant|
|The following books contain references to this :|
|Bailey, Rebecca M||1996||Scottish architects' papers: a source book|| ||Edinburgh: The Rutland Press||p98|
|The following archives hold material relating to this :|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Courtesy of Harry Mantell||Information sent via'Contact Us' on DSA website|| ||Sent October 2009 and January 2017.|
© All rights reserved. Courtesy of Harry Mantell