Basic Biographical Details

Name: Matheson & Mackenzie
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1956
Ended: After 1964
Bio Notes: The partnership was formed in 1956 when Ian Mackenzie was taken into partnership by Huisdean Matheson and Donald Matheson Junior.

Donald Matheson who founded the firm was born in 1878 and articled to Ross & Macbeth of Inverness, c.1893 to 1898, and presumably remained as an assistant. In 1906 he emigrated to Durban, but returned in 1908 to commence independent practice in Strathpeffer, moving office to Dingwall in 1910. He was subsequently appointed County Architect for Ross and Cromarty but continued his private practice. He was admitted LRIBA in 1925. Matheson died in October 1934. The practice was carried on by his sons Donald and Huisdean who retained the firm title of Donald Matheson & Sons.

Ian Mackenzie appears to have been the son of M Mackenzie and was articled to or an assistant to John Grant Chisholm in about 1939.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2Tulloch Street, Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty, ScotlandBusiness1956After 1970 
Item 2 of 2Achany Road, Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty 1970  

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 5Douglas Murray  Architect 
Item 2 of 5Huisdean (or Uisdean) Ian Matheson1956 Partner 
Item 3 of 5Donald Matheson (junior)1956 Partner 
Item 4 of 5Ian Alexander Mackenzie1956 Partner 
Item 5 of 5J Lyon1959 * Architect 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 141953Kiltearn Free ChurchEvanton Ross and CromartyScotland 
Item 2 of 141959Free Presbyterian ChurchDingwall Ross and CromartyScotland 
Item 3 of 141960Royal Bank of Scotland and officesFort William Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 4 of 141964RestaurantInverewe Ross & CromartyScotlandExtension
Item 5 of 141967Argyll HotelUllapool Ross and CromartyScotlandExtensions
Item 6 of 141967Beauly Sports Centre and curling rinkBeauly Inverness-shire  
Item 7 of 141968Caledonian HotelUllapool Ross and CromartyScotlandNew wing
Item 8 of 141968Croft HouseTorridon Ross and CromartyScotlandReconstruction
Item 9 of 141968Goldsmith's FactoryDingwall Ross and CromartyScotland 
Item 10 of 141969380 houses, Burnside, TollochwoodDingwall Ross and CromartyScotland 
Item 11 of 141969Golfview HotelNairn NairnshireScotlandBedroom alterations
Item 12 of 141969Ski chalets and flats at the CairngormsRothiemurchus Estate Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 13 of 141970Houses, 1 Castle StreetDornoch SutherlandScotlandRestoration and conversion into flats
Item 14 of 141972Conon HouseConon Bridge Ross and CromartyScotlandReconstruction after fire

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Bailey, Rebecca M1996Scottish architects' papers: a source book Edinburgh: The Rutland Pressp98
Item 2 of 3RIBA1964The RIBA Kalendar 1963-64   
Item 3 of 3RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970