Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||(Professor) Edward Walter Rail Waugh |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||24 January 1913 |
|Died: ||1966 |
|Bio Notes: ||Edward Walter Rail Waugh (known as 'Terry') was born in South Africa on 24 January 1913, the son of the architect E H Waugh. He studied at Houghton College in Johannesberg and therafter at the School of Architecture, Edinburgh College of Art from October 1931. He spent a year in the office of Rowand Anderson, Paul & Partners from October 1934 and after a further year of full-time study found employment back in South Africa in the office of C Small and subsequently of E H Waugh, both of Johannesburg. He spent his summers travelling and sketching in Britain, and passed the qualifying exam in June 1938. He was admitted ARIBA on 8 May 1939, his proposers being Theophile Schaerer of Johannesburg, Frank Charles Mears and S L Dowsett. He practised for a year in his father's office from 1939-40 as Waugh & Waugh. After a short stint as a draftsman with Moffat & Harvey and TN Duncan, he served in the South African Army for two years. |
He immigrated to the US in 1941 and worked as a structural designer for Fluor, an aircraft engineer for Hughes Tool Company, and a set designer for Columbia Pictures.
In 1944 Waugh won a fellowship to the Cranbrook Academy of Art where he studied under Eero Saarinen and worked in his practice. After teaching at the University of Kansas in 1947 and working in private practice in Kansas City (Runnells, Clark, Waugh and Matsumoto), he moved in 1948 to teach at the University of Oklahoma, recruited by Dean Henry Kamphoefner.
Kamphhoefner was later appointed first dean of the School of Design at North Carolina State University and recruited Waugh, Matsumoto, Duncan Stewart, and several other faculty and students to move to Raleigh in 1948. Waugh taught at NCSU until 1951, He pracised briefly with Ed Loewenstein and later Raymond Sawyer.. In 1952, he opened his own firm, Edward Waugh Associates and continued it when he became became campus planner for NCSU in 1957.
From 1963-1965 he was Chief Architect for the Agricultural University of Peru. He retained his connection with North Carolina and established the School Design Standards for the Department of Public Instruction and designed a number of schools in Raleigh.
Waugh was also a painter. In October 1965, the year before his death, n exhibition of paintings and architectural drawings was mounted at NCSU. His papers are held in the archives of the University.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|44, Circle Court, Johannesburg, South Africa||Private||1939 *|| || |
|31, Furches Street, Raleigh, North Carolina, United States of America||Private||c. 1950|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|http://www.trianglemodernisthouses.com/waugh.htm|| ||http://www.trianglemodernisthouses.com/waugh.htm|| || ||Accessed July 2010|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||A no7207 (combined box 179)|