Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Hicks & Charlewood |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1888 |
|Ended: || |
|Bio Notes: ||William Searle Hicks was born in 1849 and was a great nephew of Sir Charles Barry. In 1866 he was articled to the Newcastle architects Thomas Austin & Robert James Johnson who had bought John Dobson's practice in the previous year. In or about 1875 Austin died and Johnson took Hicks into partnership, the practice title then becoming Austin, Johnson & Hicks, but in 1882 this partnership was dissolved. |
In 1885 Hicks took his brother-in-law Henry Clement Charlewood into partnership. Born on 15 May 1853 at Kinoulton Nottinghamshire, Charlewood was educated at Marlborough College and articled to Joseph Stretch Crowther in 1874-78. In 1879 he travelled in Italy, thereafter gaining further experience in the offices of George Tunstal Redmayne and John William Alexander of Middlesborough from 1880. He passed the qualifying exam early in 1888 and was admitted ARIBA on 11 June, his proposers being Thomas Worthington, Redmayne, and John Holden.
Hicks died at Gosforth on 21 November 1902. He never sought membership of the RIBA, but was architect to the diocese of Newcastle and president of the Northern Architectural Association in 1891-92. The practice was continued by Charlesworth who took Hick's son, Henry Leicester Hicks, (born 1881/82) into partnership in 1908, the younger Hicks having passed the qualifying exam in the previous year.
Charlewood was president of the Northern Architectural Association in 1910-11. He retired in 1916 and moved to Somerset, the practice being continued by the younger Hicks and Charlewood's own son, George Edward Charlewood.
Charlewood died at Beckenham, Kent, on 3 August 1943.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|New Bridge Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, England||Business||1865 *|| || |
|42, Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, England||Business||1888 *|| || |
|67, Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, England||Business||1902 *|| || |
|4, Mosley Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, England||Business||1914 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1893||MacPherson Memorial Fountain||Blairgowrie|| ||Perthshire||Scotland|| |
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|British Architectural Library, RIBA||2001||Directory of British Architects 1834-1914|| || || |