Basic Biographical Details

Name: John Edward Watson
Designation: Architect
Born: 1821
Died: 1 September 1885
Bio Notes: John Edward Watson was born in Hawick in 1821 and articled to John & Benjamin Green in Newcastle remaining as practice manager from 1840-52 before leaving to set up business on his own account. His design for the Great Exhibition won a commendation from Prince Albert. He was President of the Northern Architects Association in 1869 and was admitted FRIBA in 1877, proposed by Thomas Oliver, Robert James Johnson and Robert Lamb. He was architect to the Bowes Estate and did work at Streatham Castle, Gibside and most famously acted as supervising architect for the Bowes Museum at Barnard Castle for the French architect Jules Pellechet from 1869-72. He died on 1September 1885 at Fenham Terrace, Newcastle.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 3Hawick, ScotlandPrivate   
Item 2 of 3Newcastle upon Tyne, EnglandBusiness   
Item 3 of 3Fenham Terrace, Newcastle upon Tyne, EnglandPrivate 1885 

Employment and Training


The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2John & Benjamin Green  Apprentice 
Item 2 of 2John & Benjamin Green  Office Manager 


RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 3Robert James Johnson1877For Fellowship
Item 2 of 3Robert Lamb1877For Fellowship
Item 3 of 3Thomas Oliver1877For Fellowship


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
Item 1 of 1British Architectural Library, RIBA2001Directory of British Architects 1834-1914   

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architect:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Newcastle Weekly News8 January 1887  Called Newcastle Weekly Chronicle at this date