Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||William Farquharson Smith |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||28 August 1905 |
|Died: ||1 June 1980 |
|Bio Notes: ||William Farquharson Smith was born on 28 August 1905, the son of George Smith, saw miller, and his wife, Marjory Farquharson. He was articled to Archibald Welsh of Kirkcaldy on 20 September 1921. On completion of his apprenticeship in 1925 he joined James G Falconer of Fort William as assistant, and a year later became assistant to George MacRitchie, who had also been in Falconer's firm. During this period he worked on business premises, hotels, and general housing projects. In 1931 he was appointed architectural assistant to the civil engineering firm of Carfrae & Morrison in Edinburgh, where he was mainly involved in surveys, preparation of feuing plans, housing work, water supply and sewage disposal for villages in the Lothians. He moved again in 1936 to join Walker & Duncan, civil engineers and architects of Aberdeen, with whom he worked on the design and construction of housing schemes, private country houses and Territorial Army buildings in Aberdeenshire and Kincardineshire. He was admitted LRIBA on 28 September 1943, without the need for proposers although his nomination papers do not explain why this was so. His employment at that time is unclear: the papers state that he had ceased working for Walker & Duncan in 1940, give a home address of 47 Strathmore Street, Kinghorn, and indicate that he was an 'assistant'. He was elected FRIAS in 1956. |
Smith would appear to have worked as an architect with a firm of building contractors.
He died on 1 June 1980 at Methilhill House, Methil. He never married.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|2, Glamis Terrace, Kinghorn, Fife, Scotland||Private|| ||1980|| |
|47, Strathmore Street, Kinghorn, Fife, Scotland||Private||1943 *||After 1955|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|H M Register House||Death Register|| || |
|RIAS, Rutland Square||Records of membership|| || |
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L no5491 (combined box 83)|