Basic Biographical Details

Name: James Dobbie
Designation: Architect
Born: 2 April 1908
Died: 9 June 1962
Bio Notes: James Dobbie was born on 2 April 1908, the son of William Dobbie, drapery assistant, and his wife Mary Walker. He commenced his training in an unidentified Angus office on 16 July 1924. He subsequently worked in offices in Fife and Edinburgh. He was entered on the Register of Architects on 27 June 1941 and was admitted LRIBA on 15 December 1942, without the need for proposers. By that time he was working in the Department of Agriculture for Scotland in Edinburgh. He continued to work there until his death.

Dobbie was found dead at his home on 9 June 1962. He was accidentally poisoned by coal gas. He was divorced.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 4Angus, ScotlandBusiness1924Before 1942 
Item 2 of 4Fife, ScotlandBusinessAfter 1924Before 1942 
Item 3 of 414, Falcon Avenue, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivate1942 *  
Item 4 of 471, Parkhead Avenue, Edinburgh, ScotlandPrivate(?)1950 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 1Department of Agriculture for Scotland (later Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland)1942 * (?) 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1RIBA1950The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2H M Register HouseDeath Register  
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers L no5247 (combined box 66)