Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Alexander Gill |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||24 July 1898 |
|Died: ||2 October 1972 |
|Bio Notes: ||Alexander Gill was born on 24 July 1898, the son of George Gill, farmer, and his wife, Margaret Bisset. He was articled to William Liddle Duncan of Turriff, Aberdeenshire on 29 August 1914. His apprenticeship was interrupted by twenty-two months' war service but he returned to Duncan's office thereafter to complete it. He then moved to Edinburgh where he studied full-time at Heriot-Watt College from January 1920 to December 1921, subsequently returning to Aberdeen and undertaking private study at home for three years whilst working in Duncan's office as assistant. In January 1925 he moved to the office of Gall & Hay, also in Aberdeen, and in March that year he resumed evening classes at Robert Gordon's College which he continued to attend for eighteen months. |
In November 1926 he moved to Bradford to take up an appointment as assistant to William Williamson. After a year in that office he left to take up a similar appointment in the office of Winchester architect Arthur Leonard Roberts, and on 20 November 1930 he moved again, to join the office of Harold Francis Hurcombe, Architect to the Oxford Education Committee, as assistant. He passed the special final exam in London in July 1933 and was admitted ARIBA on 4 December that year, his proposers being Duncan, Roberts and Harold Sydney Rogers. At that time he was still in Hurcombe's office.
Gill moved to Aberdeen and by about 1950 held the post of Aberdeen County Architect.
Gill died in the Royal infirmary, Aberdeen on 2 October 1972, survived by his wife, Gladys Muriel Bullock.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|High Winds/20, Abbotshall Crescent, Cults, Aberdeenshire, Scotland||Private|| ||1972|| |
|Edinburgh, Scotland||Private||January 1920||December 1921|| |
|2, Parson's Place, Morrell Avenue, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England||Private||1933 *|| || |
|County Buildings/25, Union Terrace, Aberdeen, Scotland||Business||Before 1950 *||After 1954|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Builder||15 December 1950|| || ||p649|
|Builder||12 January 1951|| || ||p87|
|Builder||1 January 1954|| || ||p37|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||A no5222 (combined box 64)|