Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Deas & Bertram |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||After 1932 |
|Ended: ||Before 1938 |
|Bio Notes: ||George Brown Deas was born on 24 December 1875, the son of James Deas of Barnhill. He was articled to Alexander McCulloch of Dundee in 1891, remaining with him when the practice became McCulloch & Jamieson in 1894. During that time he studied at Dundee Technical College and University College. Thereafter he became a junior assistant to J C Sharp of Glasgow, from 1895 to 1898, subsequently spending two years with John Wills in Derby, two years as assistant to the Borough Surveyor of Devonport, four years in the Admiralty Works Department, Whitehall, London, and eight years as assistant in the Urban District Office, Finchley. Between 1914 and 1919 he was Town Planning Engineer to Fife County, Kirkcaldy District, but served for a period in the Highland Cyclists Battalion during the First World War. After the war he began practice in Kirkcaldy in partnership with William Williamson, but after a few years he set up on his own in 1923, his practice extending to Forfarshire, Midlothian, Lanark, Kinross as well as Fife. His work continued to focus largely on town planning, but he was also responsible for the restoration of seven of the old parish churches of Fife for the Church of Scotland General Trustees, including the Norman tower at Markinch. He was listed in directories as both civil engineer and architect. |
Deas married Beatrice Malden, daughter of Bernard Joseph Malden, in 1928. He was admitted LRIBA in early 1932, his proposers being William Williamson, Charles Geddes Soutar and William Salmond.
By 1936 Deas appears to have taken his assistant Thomas (Tom) Bertram into partnership, but Bertram left shortly thereafter to become assistant to William Scott who was Midlothian County Architect. Bertram had been born on 7 September 1893, had studied at Edinburgh College of Art from 1908 to 1912 under William Davidson, and had also attended classes at Heriot-Watt College. He had commenced his articles in 1909, whether with Ernest Arthur Oliphant Auldjo Jamieson or James Alexander Arnott is unclear, but he had continued in the practice of Jamieson & Arnott when the two entered into partnership in 1910 or 1911, and had remained with them until 1927, with the exception of the war years. In 1927 he had moved to Kirkcaldy to work for Deas, where he worked mainly on hospital, asylum and domestic buildings. He had passed the qualifying exam with distinction in July 1932, and had been admitted ARIBA early the following year, his proposers being Davidson, William Williamson and Alexander Lorne Campbell.
By 1936 Bertram appears to have been taken into partnership by Deas as Deas & Bertram, but soon thereafter he became assistant to William Scott who was Midlothian County Architect and when Scott retired on 14 June 1938 was promoted himself to that position.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland||Business|| || || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|George Brown Deas||After 1932||Before 1938||Partner|| |
|Thomas ('Tom') Bertram||After 1932||Before 1938||Partner|| |
Buildings and Designs
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.