Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Charles Thomas Marshall |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1867 |
|Died: ||Early 1940 |
|Bio Notes: ||Charles Thomas Marshall was born in 1867 and articled to William Lister Newcombe of Newcastle upon Tyne in 1883, remaining as assistant until 1888. He then became an assistant in Durham County Council Architect's Department for about a year prior to seeking wider experience with Richard Knill Freeman in Manchester in 1889-91. He commenced independent practice in Newcastle in 1892 and joined the Society of Architects in 1893. |
Marshall formed a partnership with Robert Burns Dick in 1895, and in the following year they won the competition for the Corporation Lodging House in Aberdeen. Born in 1868, Dick had been an apprentice in Newcombe's office alongside Marshall, and had joined the Newcastle practice of Armstrong & Knowles as an assistant in 1888, remaining there until setting up on his own in 1893.
The partnership of Marshall & Dick was dissolved some time before 1899 when Dick became partner to the older James Thorburn Cackett, the practice name becoming Cackett & Burns Dick. At this point Charles Thomas Marshall formed a partnership wiith William Tweedy.
The firm of Marshall & Tweedy also had a London office from the late 1920s. It was based in New Cavendish Street, London with Marshall's son, Charles Beresford Marshall and Lionel Hugo Fewster as partners. The Newcastle firm, in Pilgrim Street, was renamed Marshall, Tweedy and Bourn with William Tweedy, FRIBA (1872-1951) and John Alexander Bourn (1866-1948) as partners. Bourn was a quantity surveyor and may not have been involved with designing. How separate the the two offices were is not clear.
In 1936 the practice was restructured and CT Marshall was not one of the then four partners so he must have retired.
After the war the Newcastle practice seems to have reverted to the style of Marshall & Tweedy when Herbert Fitzroy Robinson (1914-2005) was in charge before he went London. The Newcastle practice closed in 1984.
Marshall was admitted LRIBA in 1910, his proposers being H C Charlewood, J Oswald and F W Rich. He died in 1940.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|4, Northumberland Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, England||Business||1896|| || |
|Midhurst, Long Burton, Northumberland, England||Private||1910 *|| || |
|17, Eldon Square, Newcastle upon Tyne, England||Business||Before 1910||After 1914|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1896||Corporation Lodging House, East North Street|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland||Third premiated competition design - but secured the commission|
|1897||Villa, 6 Wester Coates Avenue|| || ||Edinburgh||Scotland|| |
|1930||People's Palace Theatre|| || ||Aberdeen||Scotland||Drew up plans for conversion to cinema. It appears that the job went to Chadwick Watson & Co.|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|British Architectural Library, RIBA||2001||Directory of British Architects 1834-1914|| || || |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Builder||23 February 1940|| || ||p 269 - obituary|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Courtesy of Graham Potts||Information sent via 'Contact Us' on website|| ||Sent February 2013|