Basic Biographical Details

Name: Crawford & Neil
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1950
Bio Notes: Douglas Lindsay Crawford was born in 1900 or 1901 and attended Glasgow School of Architecture. He was articled to Alexander Nisbet Paterson in Glasgow. In 1928 he became as assistant with Stewart Tough & Alexander in Greenock. He does not appear in Greenock Post Office directories, suggesting that he lived outside the burgh. He was taken into partnership in the 1940s and he was joined in 1944 by John Tonner. In the late 1940s the practice took over the Boston Menzies & Morton which also operated in Greenock. At that time it was being run by Mr Stirling with an office in William Street.

James Neil joined the firm in 1950, the name changing at this point to Crawford & Neil. In 1953 he was in partnership with Neil at 133 Cathcart Street. He died on 12 November of that year aged fifty-three.

In 1958 Robert Ewing Lowe McCready was assumed into partnership followed by Frederick Whiteford Phillips in 1966 and by J S Kennedy in 1989. The practice designed various schools for Renfrew County Council as well as St Mark's.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 31, Blythswood Square, Glasgow, Scotland 1952 *  
Item 2 of 3133, Cathcart Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire, ScotlandBusiness1953 *1954Clydesdale Bank Buildings
Item 3 of 323a (or 29a), Union Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire, ScotlandBusiness1965After 1970Directories of 1984 and 1987 gives 29A Union Street

* earliest date known from documented sources.

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 5Douglas Lindsay Crawford19501953Partner 
Item 2 of 5James Neil19501970Partner 
Item 3 of 5Robert Ewing Lowe McCready1958 *1993Partner 
Item 4 of 5Frederick Whiteford Phillips1966 *After 1984Partner 
Item 5 of 5John Ramsay19791984Architect 

* earliest date known from documented sources.

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 331952Contractor's depot  GlasgowScotlandTo prepare plans
Item 2 of 331952New Arts Guild Theatre and Arts Centre, Campbell StreetGreenock RenfrewshireScotlandReconstruction and additions
Item 3 of 335 December 1952Oil and Cake Mills Co Ltd, James Watt DockGreenock RenfrewshireScotlandTwo schemes
Item 4 of 3326 June 1953Oil and Cake Mills Co Ltd, James Watt DockGreenock RenfrewshireScotlandAdditions and alterations
Item 5 of 3310 July 1953Greenock Municipal BuildingsGreenock RenfrewshireScotlandReconstruction
Item 6 of 3314 August 1953Dancehall, Robertson Street and Brougham StreetGreenock RenfrewshireScotlandConversion of existing building to dance hall
Item 7 of 334 December 1953Premises of Scott's Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd, Madeira Street  GlasgowScotlandPlans in hand for 'improvements'
Item 8 of 332 April 1954West End BathsGreenock RenfrewshireScotlandReconstruction scheme
Item 9 of 331958Fire StationGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 10 of 331958Fire StationPort Glasgow RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 11 of 331958Fire Station, area headquarters, workshops and officesJohnstone RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 12 of 33After 1958Prudential Assurance Company Buildings  EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 13 of 33After 1958Prudential Assurance officePerth PerthshireScotlandAlterations
Item 14 of 33After 1958Prudential Assurance OfficesFalkirk StirlingshireScotlandAlterations
Item 15 of 33After 1958Prudential Building  GlasgowScotlandAlterations
Item 16 of 331959Art GalleryGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 17 of 331960Flats in Shore StreetGourock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 18 of 331960St Gabriel's Primary SchoolGreenock  Scotland 
Item 19 of 331962Bakery for AuldsGreenock RenfrewshireScotlandExtensions
Item 20 of 331962Office block for Crow-Hamilton  GlasgowScotland 
Item 21 of 331964Greenock Royal Infirmary, Orthopaedic and Physiotherapy departmentGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 22 of 331966Flats, maisonettes, shop and garagesGourock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 23 of 331968Office block for Black's Travel AgencyGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 24 of 331968St Ninian's RC Primary SchoolGourock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 25 of 331968Vandenberghs & Jurgens oil refineryGreenock RenfrewshireScotlandAlterations
Item 26 of 331969Factory for Blacks of Greenock, tent makersGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 27 of 331969Greenock Royal Infirmary Convalescent HomeGreenock RenfrewshireScotlandWard 1
Item 28 of 331969Greenock Royal Infirmary Convalescent HomeGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 29 of 33Before 1974St Mark's Primary SchoolBarrhead RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 30 of 33Before 1975Hostel for mentally handicapped childrenGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 31 of 33Before 1975Houses, South StreetGreenock RenfrewshireScotlandImprovements
Item 32 of 33Before 1975Offices for the social work departmentGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 33 of 33Before 1975Warehouse and showrooms for Messrs ShannonGreenock RenfrewshireScotlandAlterations


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
Item 1 of 2Greenock Post Office directories Greenock Post Office directories   
Item 2 of 2RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970  p110

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 7Builder9 May 1952  p721
Item 2 of 7Builder5 December 1952  p852
Item 3 of 7Builder26 June 1953  p1004
Item 4 of 7Builder10 July 1953  p80
Item 5 of 7Builder14 August 1953  p264
Item 6 of 7Builder4 December 1953  p903
Item 7 of 7Builder2 April 1954  p616