Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Alexander Leslie |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1754 |
|Died: ||1835 |
|Bio Notes: ||Alexander Leslie was born in 1754, the son of Robert Leslie (1723-1804), wright and cabinet maker in Largo, Fife and his wife Anne Carstairs who was almost certainly a sister of David Carstairs a local architect-builder. His younger brother was Sir John Leslie (1766-1832). |
Leslie designed and built a number of churches in Fife which are simple Georgian unpretentious rectangular plan buildings with the exception of Largo which was cruciform. The style of the latter is late Gothic which was selected to blend with the pre-existing 'chancel' which was built in 1623.
Leslie and his father are commemorated by a tombstone in Largo Churchyard and a silhouette portrait is still in the possession of his descendants. He was the father of the civil engineer James Leslie, born in 1801.
Alexander Leslie died in 1835.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Largo, Fife, Scotland||Business|| || || |
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Colvin, H M||1995||A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840||3rd edition||New Haven and London: Yale University Press|| |
|Pride, Glen L||1999||The Kingdom of Fife||2nd Edition||The Rutland Press||p78, p93, p148, p174|