Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||John Phin Miller Wright |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||17 August 1906 |
|Died: ||2 July 1971 |
|Bio Notes: ||John Phin Miller Wright was born on 17 August 1906, the son of PAtrick Wright, mechanical engineer and his wife Margaret Jane Cooper. He was articled to George Watt of Aberdeen from July 1925 to July 1928, attending evening classes at the School of Architecture, Robert Gordon's College. He then studied full-time at the School for three years, receiving his diploma in 1930 and his post-diploma in June 1931. He passed the Professional Practice exam in the following month and immediately joined James Brown Nicol's firm of Kelly & Nicol. He was admitted ARIBA early the following year, his proposers being Watt, Nicol and R Leslie Rollo. His declaration accepting his admittance was witnessed by Peter Wright, who shared his address of 56 Elmbank Terrace and was presumably either his father or brother. Wright was also an Associate of the Aberdeen Society of Architects. |
Wright remained with Nicol, latterly as chief assistant, until 1937 when he was appointed a lecturer in the School of Architecture, Robert Gordon's College. He served as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Engineers from 1939 to 1945 and from 1946 practised on his own account as John P M Wright at 106 High Street, Elgin. In 1960 he formed a partnership with John Alexander Simpson as Simpson & Wright, with an office at 96 Moss Street, Keith, still retaining his own separate office in Elgin. He was still active in both practices in 1968 when he was admitted FRIBA, proposed by Douglas W Innes, James R Riddell and John Gibb Marr. One of his proposers, Douglas William Innes, wrote in a supporting statement: 'He has always adhered to the importance of the maintenance of the position of the Architect with regard to the public in general and has been very critical of what he considered to be self-aggrandisement on the part of any of the profession, particularly if it adversely affected the environment'... that he had a 'strong personality and rigid self application to the tenets of the profession'.
At the time of his nomination to Fellow he was undertaking a wide range of work including distillery reconstruction, housing, school work, hotels and public houses, reconstruction of 18th century street architecture in Elgin and farm work.
He was a church office bearer and member of the local education and preservation committees, and pursued interests in music and photography.
Wright died suddenly on 2 July 1971 in Elgin. He was survived by his wife, Margaret Elizabeth Turner.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|22, Birnie Road, Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland||Private|| ||1971|| |
|56, Elmbank Terrace, Aberdeen, Scotland||Private||1932 *|| || |
|41, Leslie Road, Aberdeen, Scotland||Private/business(?)||1939 or 1940 *|| || |
|106, High Street, Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland||Business||1946||After 1968|| |
|96, Moss Street, Keith, Aberdeenshire, Scotland||Business||1946||After 1968|| |
|10, Main Street, New Elgin, Morayshire, Scotland||Private||1950 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|George Watt||July 1925||July 1928||Apprentice|| |
|Kelly & Nicol||July 1931||Before 1937||Assistant|| |
|Kelly & Nicol||After 1931||1937||Chief Assistant|| |
|Simpson & Wright||1960||1971||Partner||Wright died suddenly in 1971.|
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1947||1-55 Harrison Terrace||Elgin|| ||Morayshire||Scotland|| |
|c. 1970||Birnie Kirk||Birnie|| ||Morayshire||Scotland||Alterations to windows|
|1971||Kilmolymock Close||Elgin|| ||Morayshire||Scotland||Restoration|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1939||The RIBA Kalendar 1939-1940|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||A no4847 (stored under F6117, combined box 120); F no6117 (combined box 120)|