Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||D S R Waugh & Associated Architects |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1949 |
|Ended: || |
|Bio Notes: ||Thomas Harold Hughes (born 1887) entered into partnership with David Stark Reid Waugh (born 1906) in 1938. |
Hughes had initiated a school of architecture at Robert Gordon's College, Aberdeen before serving in the First World War, and had subsequently been taken into partnership in the Glasgow firm of Burnet, Son & Dick in Glasgow. Incompatibility with Burnet's more senior Glasgow partner, Norman Aitken Dick, had eventually caused him to resign his partnership to teach at the Glasgow School of Architecture where he succeeded James Black Fulton as Professor and Director when the latter died in April 1922.
Waugh had served his apprenticeship with Burnet, Son & Dick from 1924 and had remained as a draughtsman thereafter. He had studied under Hughes at the Glasgow School of Architecture and subsequently taught there.
When the Second World War broke out Hughes sent out fee accounts for work extending back several years and was asked to submit further accounts for work which had to be abandoned. The payments were taxed at wartime surtax rates and in common with several other architects at that time Hughes found he had worked for something like three years for virtually nothing. This contributed to a serious breakdown in health in 1941 which forced him to retire as Director of the School of Architecture in 1942, his Glasgow University work being taken over by Alexander Wright, although Waugh was to continue the practice after the war and later became Head of Architecture at Glasgow School of Art. After Hughes's death in 1949, Waugh changed the practice title to D S R Waugh & Associated Architects. The office moved first to 206 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, then to 217 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, and later to 44 Northumberland Street, Edinburgh.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|206, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1949(?)|| || |
|271, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||After 1949|| || |
|44, Northumberland Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||After 1949|| || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|David Stark Reid Waugh||1949|| ||Partner|| |
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Bailey, Rebecca M||1996||Scottish architects' papers: a source book|| ||Edinburgh: The Rutland Press||p140|