Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Ferrier & Binnie |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1927 |
|Ended: ||1935(?) |
|Bio Notes: ||Claude Waterlow Ferrier was born in 1879, the only son of Sir David Ferrier MD LLD FRS. He was educated at Marlborough, and travelled in France, Germany and Italy prior to commencing an articled apprenticeship in the office of Aston Webb. He commenced practice on his own account in London at the early age of twenty-three, and quickly built up a successful business incorporating public, institutional, religious and domestic work in Britain and abroad. |
In 1927 he formed 'an association' with William Bryce Binnie. Binnie had been born in 1885 or 1886 and articled to Robert Alexander Bryden in 1904. On Bryden's death in 1906 he had transferred to the office of John Burnet & Son to complete his apprenticeship. He had studied at the Glasgow School of Art from 1908 to 1910 and obtained a Gold Medal and travelling scholarship in the latter year, which had enabled him to spend approximately a year in Italy. Instead of returning to Scotland, he had then proceeded to New York to work as a designer in the office of Warren & Wetmore, where he was responsible for the detailing of Grand Central Station and was supervising architect for the Baltimore Hotel. He had returned to Britain in 1913 to take up a position as chief draughtsman to Leonard Martin in London. He had served in the armed forces during the First World War, at the end of which, in 1919, he had been appointed Deputy Director of Works for the Imperial War Graves Commission, supervising the erection of war cemeteries and memorials in France, Belgium and Germany. He had remained there, based in St Omer, Pas de Calais, France, until at least 1925 when he was admitted FRIBA on 20 November, his proposers being Reginald Blomfield, Edwin Landseer Lutyens and Herbert Baker.
Ferrier took pride in craftsmanship and took a meticulous approach to his work. He was known for his energy and humour. Beyond his professional interests, he was a Francophile and found time to compile an English-French and French-English Dictionary of Technical Terms relating to architecture and surveying, which was due to be published at the time of his accidental death on 6 July 1935. Binnie continued the practice at 26 Old Queen Street, Westminster after his death.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|26, Old Queen Street, Westminster, London, England||Business||1935 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|After 1927||81 New Bond Street|| || ||London||England|| |
|After 1927||Arsenal football stadium||Highbury|| ||London||England||West stand|
|After 1927||National Temperance Hospital|| || ||London?||England||Extensions|
|The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|RIBA Journal||9 November 1935||v43||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||Obituary of Claude Waterlow Ferrier, p37|