Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue Associates |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1924 |
|Ended: ||Before 1931 |
|Bio Notes: ||Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue was born in Pomfret, Connecticut on 28 April 1869. At the age of fifteen he was articled to New York ecclesiastical architect James Renwick. He remained with Renwick for six years before moving to Boston, and it was there that in 1891 he joined the office of Ralph Adams Cram, whose partner Charles Wentworth had recently been forced to retire for reasons of ill-health. The practice title changing to Cram, Goodhue & Ferguson, and the firm was instrumental in bringing the full force of the Gothic revival to American ecclesiastical architecture. Around 1910-12, Goodhue withdrew from the partnership to practise independently in New York. |
After Goodhue's death on 23 April 1924 the practice was continued by three senior assistants - Francis L S Mayers, Oscar H Murray and F Hardie Phillip - as Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue Associates. They changed the firm title to Mayers, Murray & Phillip sometime before 1931.
Phillip was the lead designer in the practice. He had been born in Scone on 18 March 1888 and had been educated at James Gillespie's School and George Heriot's School, Edinburgh. He had been arguably the most successful of Robert Stodart Lorimer's assistants, working in his office about 1905-1910 and had been part of the James Smith Richardson-John Ross McKay-James Taylor Thomson circle there. Whilst there he had studied at Edinburgh School of Art and Heriot-Watt College. In 1910 he had applied for an assistant's post with Jonathan Simpson in Bolton, Lancashire, but in the event he had emigrated first to the Federal Malay States for two years, and then to New York. There he had worked briefly in the firm of Cross & Cross before following his former colleague James Taylor Thomson to the office of Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue, to which he and Thomson had brought experience of the detail, design and execution of Lorimer's Gothic woodwork. Thomson had returned to Scotland for medical reasons in 1920.
Mayers, Murray and Phillip completed the Nebraska State Capitol, the National Academy of Science in Washington, Los Angeles Public Library, the Physics Building at Dabney Hall, Pasadena, the Fraternity House of the Rensselaer Society of Engineers, New York and Dillingham Hall, Panahou, Honolulu (1924-1930), and the Honolulu Academy of Arts (1924-27) which Phillip largely redesigned. Of the buildings which Phillip designed completely anew the most important were the Episcopal Church of the Heavenly Rest, New York (1926-29); Nu'nnano, Hawaii for Clarence Hyde Cook at the Bank of Hawaii; the C Brewer Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago (1931).
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|2, West 47th Street, New York, New York, United States of America||Business||1924||Before 1931|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Francis Lorne||1924||1930||Architect||Associate partner|
|F Hardie Phillip||1924||1931||Partner|| |
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Oliver, Richard||1983||Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue|| ||New York, Cambridge & London: Architectural History Foundation/MIT Press|| |
|www.philadelphiabuildings.org||2005||www.philadelphiabuildings.org|| ||Philadelphia Architects and Buildings website|| |