|Born:||1813 or 1814|
|Bio Notes:||Henry Kennedy (given in some sources such as the BAL Directory as Henry Edward Kennedy, though this appears to be an error) was born at Hammersmith, London in 1813 or 1814, (baptised on 14 January 1814), the son of John Kennedy and Anne Taylor Reynolds, but nothing is yet known of his training or early career. In 1839, he married Emily Du Pre third daughter of Rev Thomas Du Pre, Rector of Willoughby, Lincolnshire. Henry Kennedy's daughter, Emily, was born at Kensington in 1840-41 (1881 Census) and the family's removal from London to North Wales appears to have occurred shortly after this date. A second child, Henry Du Pre Kennedy, was born in 1858 in Wandsworth. His earliest recorded work, the neo-Norman church at Llan Festiniog in North Wales is dated 1843 and this corresponds with his inclusion in the 1844 Bangor Directory. |
About 1858 Kennedy entered into partnership with the Bristol-born architect John Mechelen Rogers (c1831-1889). By 1861 Rogers had moved to London and seemingly remained there for the rest of his career. Whether John Rogers was related to the local building contractor, W T Rogers of Pen Parc, Bangor, is unclear. This partnership ended about 1866 and within a year he had entered into a new partnership with Gustavus Hamiton O’Donoghue of Glasgow but again also with a London address. Applications to the Incorporated Church Building Society suggest that this partnership was dissolved by 1871 after which Kennedy worked alone until shortly before his death when, it is suggested, he entered into a partnership with Peter Shearson Gregory MSA, a fellow Bangor architect absorbed Kennedy’s practice into his own. By this time Kennedy was in his eighties.
Most of Kennedy’s work was for the Diocese of Bangor and he dominated church architecture in the area for over fifty years. His mark was overwhelming and it is rare to find a church in the old counties of Caernarvonshire and Anglesey which had avoided Kennedy’s touch although his influence was less pervasive in Merionethshire. Generally his work is considered workmanlike but never outstanding with a tendency towards wiry tracery detail. During his career Kennedy was involved in some eighty applications to the Incorporated Church Building Society for grants in respect of his work for the Bangor diocese but does not appear to have carried out many other schemes beyond this area of north-west Wales.
In 1868 Kennedy & O'Donoghue exhibited a design, probably a competition design, for Long Ashton Independent Church but generally the function of the London office remains unclear as is the role of his two partners who do not appear to have played any significantly part in the Welsh projects.
Henry Kennedy died in 1898.
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
|Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Menai View, Bangor, Wales||Private/business||1844|
|Castle Street, Bangor, Gwynedd, Wales||Business||1846|
|High Street, Bangor, Gwynedd, Wales||Business||1850||After 1868|
|243, High Street, Bangor, Gwynnedd, Wales||Business||1868||Address for Kennedy and O'Donoghue|
|Brydeiniol, (Penrallp Road?), Bangor, Gwynedd, Wales||Private||1881||Residence as given in the Census return. Kennedy may also have used this as his office|
|The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):|
|Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Kennedy & O'Donoghue||1867||c. 1871||Partner|
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
|Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1867||Bangor Infectious Diseases Hospital||Bangor||Wales||First premiated competition design|
|1868||Long Ashton Independent Church||Long Ashton||Somerset||England||Competition design?|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Haslam, Richard, Orbach, Julian, Voelcker, Adam||2009||Gwynedd (The Buildings of Wales)|
|Howell, Peter, and Sutton, Ian||1989||Faber Guide to Victorian Churches|
|Hubbard, Edward||1994||Clwyd (Denbighshire and Flintshire) (The Buildings of Wales)||Revised Edition||London: Penguin Books Ltd|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
|Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Courtesy of Susan Kennedy||Information via -Contact Us' page on website||Sent February 2011|
|Incorporated Church Building Society||churchplansonline.org||Details of over 80 projects by Kennedy, Kennedy and Rogers and Kennedy and O'Donoghue, including plans|
|National Library of Wales||Architectural Drawing Collection||Drawings of various schemes by Kennedy|
|© 2016, Dictionary of Scottish Architects|
|Website and database design by Codex Geodata|