Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Wallace & Gibson |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||c. 1900 |
|Ended: ||1909 |
|Bio Notes: ||William Wallace was articled to Campbell Douglas & Stevenson. By 1871 he was in London and was associated with Daniel Cottier the stained-glass artist and John McKean Brydon, also from Campbell Douglas & Stevenson's, in founding the decorators Morris & Co of Langham Place, London and was briefly in partnership with Brydon in 1880 before forming a partnership with his assistant William Flockhart, designing the reconstruction of the Free Church at Newhaven, Edinburgh and the new-build Free Presbyterian Church at Richmond, Surrey. This partnership was dissolved c.1883. Thereafter Wallace's career is somewhat shadowy, but in 1900 he entered into partnership with another London Scot and former employee, James Glen Sivewright Gibson. |
Gibson was born in Arbroath on 23 November 1861, the son of William Gibson and Elizabeth Sivewright and the brother of Robert Gibson, civil engineer and architect, Dundee. He was articled to Ireland & Maclaren, Dundee, from 1877 to 1881, and was thereafter a draughtsman with Pearce Brothers, engineers, and then with Alexander Hutcheson. He then moved to London and worked for William Wallace, Harry Wilkinson Moore, and finally Thomas Edward Collcutt. At some point he travelled in France and Italy before commencing practice and passing the qualifying exam, both in 1889. He was admitted ARIBA, his proposers being the Dundee architect John Murray Robertson, Collcutt and James Brooks. In that year he commenced independent practice. In 1890 he entered into partnership with Samuel Bridgman Russell, also from William Wallace's office. The partnership of Gibson & Russell was dissolved in 1899.
The partnership of Wallace & Gibson lasted until 1909 when Gibson took into partnership his two senior assistants, Frank Peyton Skipwith and Walter Symington Athol Gordon.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|London, England||Business|| || || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.