Basic Biographical Details

Name: J & A Leslie & Reid
Designation: Architectural practice, Engineers
Started: c. 1887
Ended: After 1922
Bio Notes: James Leslie was born on 25 September 1801, the son of Alexander Leslie, wright and cabinetmaker of Largo, Fife. He was educated at local parish schools and at Mackay's Academy, Edinburgh, and studied at Edinburgh University. In 1818 he was articled to William Hugh Playfair. However, he decided to become a civil engineer rather than an architect, and left Playfair in 1824 to work in the offices of G & J Rennie in London.

He returned to Scotland to take up an appointment as Clerk of Works to the Leith Dock and Harbour Commissioners in 1828, and in 1832 secured the post of Resident Engineer for the Dundee Harbour Works. Thereafter he continued to practise as a civil engineer specialising in harbour and water works, moving to Edinburgh in 1846 as Engineer to the Edinburgh Water Company. Although he did not practise officially as an architect, he did design buildings from time to time, including Wood's Hospital, Largo (1830) and Dundee Custom House (1839-40). By 1872 he had taken his son Alexander Leslie (born 1844) into partnership as J & A Leslie.

James Leslie died in Edinburgh on 29 December 1889, and is commemorated by a monument in the Dean Cemetery. His practice was continued by his son Alexander and his son-in-law Robert Carstairs Reid, who appears to have been taken into partnership a couple of years earlier, as J & A Leslie & Reid. The son died in 1893. James's grandson Alexander Leslie (1881-1921) and great-grandson of the same name (1910-82) were also civil engineers.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice, engineers:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2Scotland(?)Business   
Item 2 of 253, Manor Place, EdinburghBusiness15 August 1958(?) listed as Civil Engineers in Builder 15 Aug 1958, p290

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice, engineers (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3Robert Carstairs Reidc. 1887 Partner 
Item 2 of 3James Lesliec. 18871889Partner 
Item 3 of 3Alexander Lesliec. 1887Before 1893Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice, engineers was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 91887Store reservoir on the Gask BurnRoscobie (Rescobie?) (near) FifeScotland 
Item 2 of 91888Alnwickhill ReservoirLiberton EdinburghScotlandSecond phase completed
Item 3 of 91889Store ReservoirLeven FifeScotland 
Item 4 of 91897Talla Reservoir, Victoria LodgeTweedsmuir PeeblesshireScotland 
Item 5 of 91910Fairmilehead Water Treatment Works  EdinburghScotland 
Item 6 of 91920sStation Bridge over the JedJedburgh RoxburghshireScotland 
Item 7 of 91920sTownfoot Bridge over the JedJedburgh RoxburghshireScotland 
Item 8 of 91922Workshop and garages for Kirkcaldy District Water CommitteeAuchterderran FifeScotland 
Item 9 of 915 August 1958Sewage Purification WorksEarlston BerwickshireScotlandCE, accepting tender applications per Builder p290

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice, engineers. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.