Basic Biographical Details

Name: J & A Leslie
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: Before 1872
Ended: c. 1887
Bio Notes: James Leslie was born on 25 September 1801, the son of Alexander Leslie, wright and cabinetmaker of Largo, Fife. He was educated at local parish schools and at Mackay's Academy, Edinburgh, and studied at Edinburgh University. In 1818 he was articled to William Hugh Playfair. However, he decided to become a civil engineer rather than an architect, and left Playfair in 1824 to work in the offices of G & J Rennie in London.

He returned to Scotland to take up an appointment as Clerk of Works to the Leith Dock and Harbour Commissioners in 1828, and in 1832 secured the post of Resident Engineer for the Dundee Harbour Works. Thereafter he continued to practise as a civil engineer specialising in harbour and water works, moving to Edinburgh in 1846 as Engineer to the Edinburgh Water Company. Although he did not practise officially as an architect, he did design buildings from time to time, including Wood's Hospital, Largo (1830) and Dundee Custom House (1839-40). By 1872 he had taken his son Alexander Leslie (born 1844) into partnership as J & A Leslie.

James Leslie died in Edinburgh on 29 December 1889, and is commemorated by a monument in the Dean Cemetery. His practice was continued by his son Alexander and his son-in-law Robert Carstairs Reid, who appears to have been taken into partnership a couple of years earlier, as J & A Leslie & Reid. The son died in 1893. James's grandson Alexander Leslie (1881-1921) and great-grandson of the same name (1910-82) were also civil engineers.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness   

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2James LeslieBefore 1872c. 1887Partner 
Item 2 of 2Alexander LeslieBefore 1872c. 1887Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 111872West Wemyss harbourWest Wemyss FifeScotlandWet dock
Item 2 of 111872West Wemyss, harbourWest Wemyss FifeScotland 
Item 3 of 111873Clepington Sluice ChamberClepington DundeeScotland 
Item 4 of 111873Lawton Reservoir with cottage, railings and gates  DundeeScotland 
Item 5 of 111874Clatto Reservoir  DundeeScotland 
Item 6 of 111875Alnwickhill ReservoirLiberton EdinburghScotland 
Item 7 of 111879Gladhouse ReservoirTemple MidlothianScotland 
Item 8 of 111879Water TowerDalkeith MidlothianScotland 
Item 9 of 111880Edgelaw ReservoirCarrington MidlothianScotland 
Item 10 of 111880Rosebery Reservoir  MidlothianScotland 
Item 11 of 111882Williamwath BridgeDalton DumfriesshireScotlandSuperstructure

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Johnston, W T Scottish Engineers and Shipbuilders   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1National Archives of Scotland (formerly SRO)Gifts and deposits NRAS GD 351/1/-13