Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Cackett & Burns Dick |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1899 |
|Ended: ||1928(?) |
|Bio Notes: ||James Thoburn Cackett was born in 1860 and commenced independent practice in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1884, the year he was elected MSA. He took Robert Burns Dick iinto partnership in 1899 and practised thereafter as Cackett & Burns Dick. |
Dick had been born in 1868 in Stirling and had moved to Newcastle as a child. He was articled to William Lister Newcombe of Newcastle upon Tyne, moving in 1888 to the office of Armstrong & Knowles in the same town as assistant where he had remained until setting up on his own in 1892. He formed a partnership with Charles Thomas Marshall, a former colleague in Newcombe's office, in 1895 and the year after, 1896, they won the competition for the Corporation Lodging House in Aberdeen. The partnership of Marshall & Dick was dissolved in 1897.
Burns Dick was subsequently taken into partnership by the James Thoburn Cackett. Cackett was President of the Northern Architectural Association in 1905 and 1906. Dick was admitted FRIBA on 8 January of the latter year, his proposers being Cackett, Alfred William Stephens Cross and George Hubbard. Cackett retired in 1920.
In 1923 Robert Norman Houghton MacKellar was taken into partnership. MacKellar was born in 1890 in Govan. He was educated in Glasgow and served his articles there with John Nisbet, subsequently moving to the offices of Miller & Black and Charles McNair, and spending a brief period working with Thomas Martin Cappon on the design of Dundee Training College and Demonstration School. It appears that the practice title did not change to Cackett, Burns Dick & MacKellar until the time of Cackett's death in 1928.
MacKellar's son Robert was taken into partnership after World War II. From 1973 it was R N MacKellar & Partners, and it still exists  as MacKellar Schwerdt Partnership with its headquarters in Lewes in Sussex.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|24, Grainger Street West, Newcastle upon Tyne, England||Business||1899||After 1906|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.