|Bio Notes: ||James Glen Sivewright Gibson was born in Arbroath on 23 November 1861 and was the brother of Robert Gibson, civil engineer and architect, Dundee. He was articled to Ireland & Maclaren, Dundee, from 1877 to 1881, and was thereafter a draughtsman with Pearce Brothers, engineers, and then with Alexander Hutcheson. He then moved to London and worked for William Wallace, Harry Wilkinson Moore, and finally Thomas Edward Collcutt. At some point he travelled in France and Italy before commencing practice and passing the qualifying exam, both in 1889. He was admitted ARIBA, his proposers being the Dundee architect John Murray Robertson, Collcutt and James Brooks. In 1890 he entered into partnership with Samuel Bridgman Russell, also from William Wallace's office. The partnership of Gibson and Russell was dissolved in 1899. Thereafter Gibson practised in partnership with William Wallace until 1909 when he took into partnership his two senior assistants, Frank Peyton Skipwith and Walter Symington Athol Gordon. Born in 1881, Skipwith was educated at Cheam School and Neuenheim College, Heidelberg, and articled to Gibson in 1903, remaining as an assistant and studying at the Architectural Association. He did not however take the qualifying exam and was admitted LRIBA on 20 March 1911. Gordon, born in 1879, had been articled to Robert Rowand Anderson 1895-1901 and had studied under Frank Worthington Simon at the Edinburgh School of Applied Art prior to joining Gibson. Like Skipwith, Gibson did not take the qualifying exam, being elected LRIBA on 27 February 1911. |
Skipwith enlisted in the armed forces in the First World War and was kiilled in action in France in September 1915, the practice continuing as Gibson & Gordon thereafter.
Gordon was elected FRIBA in late 1916 or early 1917, his proposers being Gibson, Edmund Wimperis and Herbert Hardy Wigglesworth. His travels prior to that date had been limited to England.
Gibson died on 27 March 1951. He had a remarkable record of success in competitions, beginning with the LCC hostel in Drury Lane, London in 1891, the West Riding Offices in Wakefield, 1894, and the West Ham Technical College in 1895.