Basic Biographical Details

Name: Robertson & Gordon
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1937
Ended: c. 1940
Bio Notes: Alexander Esmé Gordon was born on 12 September 1910, the son of Alexander Shand Gordon and Elizabeth Catherine Logan. He studied at Edinburgh College of Art from 1928. He spent his year out with Burnet Tait & Lorne in London, and returned to the same firm as a qualified assistant in 1934, working on St Andrews House, Edinburgh, Kirsop's, Glasgow and several English projects including the limited competition for a house for King George V and the Curzon Cinema. He worked mainly but not exclusively under Tait and his senior assistant Andrew D Bryce. He had won several minor scholarships which enabled him to make sketching tours of England and two month-long trips to Italy (in 1931 and 1933), and in 1934 was awarded the Owen Jones Scholarship, which he used to travel again to Italy the following year. He was admitted ARIBA on 2 December 1935, his proposers being John Begg, Alexander Lorne Campbell and Frank Charles Mears.

In 1937 Gordon commenced practice on his own account at 34 Castle Street, Edinburgh, having spent part of his time in the Edinburgh office under James Wallace and gained a part-time appointment at Edinburgh College of Art. In the same year he married Betsy McCurry, a concert pianist, and was joined in partnership by James Robertson, working with him as Robertson & Gordon until c.1940 when he commenced war service.

NB Some jobs which are credited to the partnership of Robertson & Gordon may actually be by Gordon alone.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 134, Castle Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness19371940 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4Stanley Patrick Ross-Smith19371938Apprentice 
Item 2 of 4William Gordon Dey19371940Assistant 
Item 3 of 4Alexander Esmé Gordon (or Esmé Gordon)1937c. 1940Partner 
Item 4 of 4James Robertson1937c. 1940Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 81937House for Miss Logan  EdinburghScotland 
Item 2 of 81937Proposed houses at CorstorphineCorstorphine EdinburghScotland 
Item 3 of 81938Glasgow Empire Exhibition, Travel and Transport PavilionBellahouston GlasgowScotland 
Item 4 of 81938Tanfield Primary School  EdinburghScotlandCompetition design (unsuccessful) (information provided to DMW by Alexander Esmé Gordon in response to questionnaire in the 1980s)
Item 5 of 8c. 1938HermitageMurrayfield EdinburghScotlandAlterations and new lodge house for chauffeur
Item 6 of 81939ChurchWest Pilton EdinburghScotland 
Item 7 of 81939Innerleven East ChurchMethil FifeScotland 
Item 8 of 81939St Giles Cathedral  EdinburghScotlandNew organ case

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Post Office Directories