Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Whyte Galloway & Nicol |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1937(?) |
|Ended: ||1937 |
|Bio Notes: ||James Balderston Whyte was born on 5 April 1882, probably in Paisley, the son of Robert Alexander Whyte, builder and Anna Clark Balderston. He was articled to Macwhannell & Rogerson of Glasgow in 1898, studying at Paisley School of Design, Glasgow & West of Scotland Technical College and Glasgow School of Art (1898-99, as James Whyte). On completion of his apprenticeship in 1904, by which time he had made study visits to England and mainland Europe, he was placed in charge of Macwhannell & Rogerson's branch office in Barrhead, from where he carried out Renfrewshire Combination Poorhouse, Neilston Parish School and made competition designs for Dalziel Parish Combination Poorhouse. In 1906 he set up practice at 121 Bath Street, Glasgow in partnership with William Gordon Galloway (born 7 May 1880, the son of James Jack Galloway, civil engineer and his wife Mary Gilmour), who had likewise been articled to Macwhannell & Rogerson and had studied at Glasgow School of Art and Technical College but had commenced his training two years later than Whyte, which gave him the benefit of studying under Eugène Bourdon. By this time Galloway had visited the principal towns in France and Italy. |
Whyte and Galloway were both admitted LRIBA in March 1911, their proposers being Macwhannell, Rogerson and Andrew Graham Henderson, also from Macwhannell and Rogerson's office, who had passed the qualifying exam in 1909. Whyte & Galloway were architects to the episcopal diocese of Glasgow from about 1922 and were responsible for their suburban extension programme in the 1920s and 1930s. The earlier churches were in a modernist red sandstone lancet style, the later ones brick romanesque. Their commercial buildings were quite bold Art Deco, those for Claud Alexander - their main client - having faience facades.
Around 1937 an assistant, William Nicol, became a partner, the practice title changing to Whyte Galloway & Nicol, and shortly thereafter to Whyte & Nicol after Galloway withdrew.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|121, Bath Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||c. 1935||1937|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1937||Drapery warehouse|| || ||Glasgow||Scotland||Upper storey added|
|c. 1937||Marlborough House|| || ||Glasgow||Scotland|| |
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.