Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||John Boston |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||c. 1856 |
|Died: ||11 October 1889 |
|Bio Notes: ||John Boston was the fourth son of James Boston of Coatbridge and was articled to James Baird in Glasgow. He went to Greenock in c.1877 to join the Office of Public Works as assistant at 18 Hamilton Street. It would appear that one of his older brothers, James, who was a butcher by trade, moved to Greenock about the same time. By 1881 he had opened a shop at 5 West Blackhall Street. John Boston held the post of assistant in the Office of Works for seven years. His house at this time was 4 Finnart Street. |
He commenced business on his own account as architect, measurer and surveyor in 1884 from an office at 11 William Street. His home address by this date was 73 Nicholson Street. Possibly due to poor health his brother James emigrated to Melbourne, Australia but died three days after he landed there. John too suffered from poor health and had been ailing for some time before his early death on 11 October 1889. He had taken an active part in the social life of Greenock being a a member of the cricket club and of the choral society. He was not married.
His business was taken over by William Menzies of Dumbarton and George Morton of Greenock who formed partnership with offices both in Greenock and Dumbarton. Boston's name was retained in the practice title which remained unchanged until at least 1940.
Despite the fact that little is known of the partners, the firm of Boston Menzies & Morton was very able, the Greenock Masonic Temple being quite Burnetian and the Queen's Hotel at Kirn inventive Arts and Crafts with Art Nouveau touches. A strong Art Nouveau influence is also present in the flowing tracery of Clune Park Church at Port Glasgow. Their office right up to at least 1940 remained at 11 William Street, Greenock.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|4, Finnart Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland||Private||1881 or 1882|| || |
|18, Hamilton Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland||Business||1882 *|| || |
|73, Nicholson Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland||Private||1882 or 1883||1884 or 1885|| |
|24, Union Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland||Private||1885 or 1886|| || |
|11, William Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland||Business||1885 or 1886||1889|| |
|32, Brisbane Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland||Private||1886 or 1887||1887 or 1888|| |
|39, Fox Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland||Private||1888 or 1889|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Greenock Post Office directories|| ||Greenock Post Office directories|| || || |
|Scotlands People Website|| ||Wills & Testaments|| || ||Greenock Sheriff Court SC53/41/4|