Basic Biographical Details

Name: A M & W McMichael
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: After 1945
Ended:  
Bio Notes: Alastair Marshall McMichael was born on 13 September 1888 in Perthshire. There is conflicting information on his early years in his ARIBA and FRIBA nomination papers but it seems that he began his higher education studying Fine Arts and modern languages at Edinburgh University, being awarded the degree of MA c.1909. He appears to have been briefly articled to Hugh Campbell from September of the latter year before embarking on three years of full-time studies at Glasgow School of Architecture under Eugène Bourdon, during which period he spent summers working as improver in the office of John Archibald Campbell's firm, Campbell & Hislop. Whilst at the School he also became acquainted with William James Smith (later Professor) and the younger Alexander Cullen (later Colonel).

After completing his studies in Glasgow it seems that he moved back to Edinburgh to become a draughtsman in the office of Hippolyte Jean Blanc, and while there developed a 'flair for church work'. He made a study tour in England in July 1914, making measured drawings in Ely and also visiting Canterbury, Lincoln, York and Durham.

During the First World War he served with the Royal Engineers as a Surveyor in the 19th Army Heavy Brigade. After his demobilisation he passed the qualifying exam in London in July 1919 and entered the office of Ebeneezer Simpson in Stirling. He was admitted ARIBA on 1 March 1920, his proposers being Walter Symington Athol Gordon, James Glen Sivewright Gibson and Herbert Hardy Wigglesworth; and was made a partner in Simpson's practice in the same year, the firm becoming Simpson McMichael & Davidson as Simpson had already taken George McCallum Davidson into partnership sometime before. On Simpson's retirement in 1924 he continued with Davidson.

McMichael was admitted FRIBA in late 1932, his proposers being James Glen Sivewright Gibson, Walter Symington Athol Gordon and Oliver Frederick Savege. His partnership with Davidson was dissolved at the end of the Second World War and McMichael practised on his own until he entered into partnership with his son William A McMichael as A M & W McMichael. William A McMichael continued the practice after his father's death on 14 February 1955.

According to his obituarist Alastair Marshall McMichael's practice was a busy one. He designed many industrial buildings before the Second World War, chiefly paper mills in England, and later general work in Scotland including that on many county estates and country houses in Stirling and Perthshire. He was working on the restoration of St Ninian's Church Stirling at the time of his death.

He was married with one son and one daughter. He was a Past President of the Stirling Society of Architects, a Councillor and Magistrate and was Provost for three-and-a-half years.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2Stirling, Stirlingshire, ScotlandBusiness   
Item 2 of 23, Pitt Terrace, Stirling, Stirlingshire, ScotlandBusiness1959(?)  

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2Alastair Marshall McMichaelAfter 19451955Partner 
Item 2 of 2William A McMichaelAfter 1945After 1955Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 22 October 1959Office Block, Garage and Muster Hall for South of Scotland Electricity Board  Stirling, StirlingshireScotlandaccepting tender applications per Builder p368
Item 2 of 21961Scottish Power ShowroomAlloa ClackmannanshireScotland 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder2 October 1959  p368