Basic Biographical Details

Name: Wilson & Stewart
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: c. 1882
Ended: c. 1890
Bio Notes: William Gilmour Wilson was born in 1856 at Rothesay. In 1872 he was articled to Robert Baldie, studying at Glasgow School of Art, and after completing his apprenticeship in 1877 he was successively assistant to Alexander Adamson and John Honeyman in Glasgow, George Fowler Jones in York, Francis Mackison in Stirling (perhaps for the Callander Hydropathic project) and William Owen of Warrington. By 1880 he had set up independent practice at 134 Wellington Street, Glasgow, and in the same year he entered the competition for Liverpool School of Art in collaboration with an unidentified A B Miller, their design being exhibited at the Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts the following year. It is unclear whether Miller and Wilson entered into a formal partnership but they exhibited again together at the Glasgow Institute in 1882. Wilson had been admitted ARIBA on 3 January the previous year, his proposers being Honeyman, Jones and John Burnet, Senior. The practice appears to have initially been successful despite the severity of the recession in the early 1880s, and by c.1883 Wilson had taken James B Stewart into partnership as Wilson & Stewart.

In the early 1890s the practice appears to have run out of work and the partnership was dissolved and Stewart, who seems to have had good connections in Greenock and Port Glasgow continued the practice on his own.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 317, Hamilton Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire, ScotlandBusiness1882 or 1883 *  
Item 2 of 3134, Wellington Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessc. 1883After 1888 
Item 3 of 34, Argyle Street, Greenock, Renfrewshire, ScotlandBusiness1886 or 18871887 or 1888 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2William Gilmour Wilsonc. 1882c. 1890Partner 
Item 2 of 2James Brown Stewartc. 1888c. 1890Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 101882Balfron Parish ChurchBalfron StirlingshireScotlandTower and transepts added
Item 2 of 101883Fynone Cottage, ForthillBroughty Ferry DundeeScotland 
Item 3 of 101884Buchlyvie Village HallBuchlyvie StirlingshireScotland 
Item 4 of 101884Tenement, Cadder Street  GlasgowScotland 
Item 5 of 101886Copland Road SchoolGovan GlasgowScotland 
Item 6 of 101886Moffat LibraryPort Glasgow RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 7 of 101886Motherwell Town Hall and Municipal OfficesMotherwell LanarkshireScotlandCompetition design - placed third
Item 8 of 101886Proposed Board SchoolBarrhead RenfrewshireScotlandFirst premiated competition design
Item 9 of 101886Public HallBothwell LanarkshireScotland 
Item 10 of 101887Moffat Orphanage, Carnegie Park Orphan HomesPort Glasgow RenfrewshireScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Greenock Post Office directories Greenock Post Office directories