Basic Biographical Details

Name: George Sandilands
Designation: Architect
Born: 10 March 1883
Died: 10 December 1967
Bio Notes: George Sandilands was born in Leith on 10th March 1883, the son of James Sandilands journeyman iron moulder and his wife Janet Bryson. His parents had married in Leith the previous year.

George married Catherine Inglis in Abbeymount, Edinburgh on 7th June 1907. Catherine was the daughter of William Inglis, a journeyman joiner and his wife Margaret Johnston. As George was also recorded as a journeyman joiner at this date its likely the couple met through William. George and Catherine would go on to have two sons and two daughters, the first of whom died young.

In 1908 he joined the School Board in Edinburgh and by 1911 was working as a Teacher of Manual Training for Leith School Board. In the middle of 1912 he moved to Fife to a job with Fife & Kinross Secondary Education Committee.

During the First World War Sandilands served with the Royal Engineers playing a prominent part in the erection of the ‘secret’ port at Richborough near Sandwich. The port provided the Government with a new departure point for heavy machinery, tanks and railway stock, and by 1918 covered an area of 2000 acres.

In 1919 he became Master of Works for Fife Education Authority, and when, by 1932, the Authority had been taken over by the County he became Master of Works to Fife County Council. The title of Master of Works was analogous to Architect although could involve additional Quantity Surveying and Clerk of Works roles. In 1932 he was President of the National Association of Local Government Officers, Fife & Kinross branch.

In 1934, when his salary was being reassessed, Sandiland’s workload had increased threefold. He was responsible for the design of housing and several schools including Bell Baxter in Cupar, Dunfermline High School, Waid Academy (additions), Anstruther, Sinclairtown School, Kirkcaldy and Mining Schools in Buckhaven and Cowdenbeath. He also designed the County Police Station HQ in Cupar and the St Andrew’s Police Station, the latter in a historicist style to respect its location.

At the time of his retirement Sandilands was a registered architect and a Fellow of the Institute of Architects and Surveyors. He was also a Member of the Royal Sanitary Institute and held a teaching diploma, lecturing at Madras College in St Andrews.

Sport played a large part in his life. When young he gained international recognition as a member of the Scottish Athletic team and later served as a judge and timekeeper for the Scottish Amateur Athletic Association for over 35 years. He became President of Kirkcaldy YMCA Harriers, was Fife’s representative on the Physical Education Committee of the YMCA and a member of the Scottish Cross-Country Union. He was well known in gymnastic circles and was also a keen swimmer and boxer. On the football field he played for Heart of Midlothian FC and later became a director of Raith Rovers FC, being once reprimanded in 1918 for attending a match in work time. His son George (1914-85) would follow in his sporting footsteps.

Sandilands retired from Fife County Council on 15th March 1948 after 29 years of service as Master of Works. He received a silver tea service from the Education Authority in recognition of his service and was replaced in the role by Mr RS Laurie.

His wife died in Kirkcaldy on 1st December 1964 and he died three years later at 3 West Fergus Place, Kirkcaldy in 10th December 1967 aged 84.

Biography courtesy of Steven Robb.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1County Buildings, Cupar, Fife, ScotlandBusiness1934 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 1Fife County Architect's Department1930s * Chief Architect 

* earliest date known from documented sources.

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2Robert Leggat Humec. February 1928September 1929Assistant 
Item 2 of 2John Methven Mitchell1933(?) *  Probably working under Sandilands in Fife County Architect's Office at this time, judging by address

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 671921Buckhaven Infant SchoolBuckhaven FifeScotlandAdditions
Item 2 of 671921SchoolLundin Links FifeScotlandAdditions
Item 3 of 671922Primary School, SalineSaline FifeScotlandSouth extensions
Item 4 of 671925Kincardine-on-Forth Public SchoolKincardine-on-Forth FifeScotlandAdditions
Item 5 of 671925Star Public SchoolStar FifeScotlandEast addition and alterations to roofs
Item 6 of 671927Aberhill Public School, Bayview ParkAberhill, Methil FifeScotlandAdditions
Item 7 of 671928Buckhaven Infant SchoolBuckhaven FifeScotlandSouth addition
Item 8 of 671928Elie SchoolElie FifeScotlandAdditions
Item 9 of 671928Police StationBurntisland FifeScotland 
Item 10 of 671928Public SchoolBurntisland FifeScotlandAdditions
Item 11 of 671929Baxter Institute for Female EducationCupar FifeScotlandRemodelling and extension to west
Item 12 of 671929Markinch Board SchoolMarkinch FifeScotlandAdditions - new classrooms art rear
Item 13 of 671929RC Higher Grade SchoolKelty FifeScotlandAdditions
Item 14 of 671930Public School, Broad StreetCowdenbeath FifeScotlandReconstruction after fire
Item 15 of 671930Sinclairtown SchoolSinclairtown, Kirkcaldy FifeScotlandReconstruction - as County Education Architect
Item 16 of 671930Waid AcademyAnstruther Easter FifeScotlandEast additions
Item 17 of 671931Boarhills SchoolBoarhills FifeScotlandRear addition
Item 18 of 671931Milton Road School with schoolmaster's house and janitor's houseKirkcaldy FifeScotlandAdditions and alterations
Item 19 of 671932Housing scheme for Fife County CouncilKincardine-on Forth FifeScotland 
Item 20 of 671932Mining School, Broad StreetCowdenbeath FifeScotland 
Item 21 of 671932Sixty houses, BowhillBowhill, Auchterderran FifeScotlandAs Fife County Architect
Item 22 of 671933Kirkcaldy High School, Technical and Elementary SchoolsKirkcaldy FifeScotlandAddition of two gymnasia and assembly hall
Item 23 of 671934Dunfermline High SchoolDunfermline FifeScotlandPrepared revised plans as earlier winning ones too expensive
Item 24 of 671934Fifty housesEast Wemyss FifeScotland 
Item 25 of 671934Forty-four houses for Fife County Council, Drumsink estateKelty FifeScotland 
Item 26 of 671934Houses for Fife County CouncilCrossgates FifeScotlandAs Fife County Architect
Item 27 of 671934Houses for Fife County Council, East Wemyss-Rosie siteEast Wemyss FifeScotland50 houses and 90 houses
Item 28 of 671934Houses for the County CouncilNewmills|Newhills FifeScotland 
Item 29 of 671934Houses, GerrytownDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 30 of 671934Housing schemeKinglassie FifeScotland 
Item 31 of 671934Ninety housesRosie FifeScotlandPlans in hand
Item 32 of 671934Strathmiglo Primary SchoolStrathmiglo FifeScotland 
Item 33 of 671935Foulford School, Drill HallCowdenbeath FifeScotland 
Item 34 of 671935Milton Road School with schoolmaster's house and janitor's houseKirkcaldy FifeScotlandAddition of harled classroom
Item 35 of 671935Springfield Police StationSpringfield, Cupar FifeScotland 
Item 36 of 671936Junior Instruction CentreBuckhaven FifeScotland 
Item 37 of 671936Leslie Higher Grade SchoolLeslie FifeScotlandAlterations
Item 38 of 671936Thirty-six houses, Parkneath siteKinglassie FifeScotland 
Item 39 of 671937Ballingry CemeteryBallingry FifeScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 40 of 671937Houses for Fife County Council, East Wemyss-Rosie siteEast Wemyss FifeScotland112 houses
Item 41 of 671937LibraryKirkcaldy FifeScotland 
Item 42 of 671937Police StationEarlsferry FifeScotland 
Item 43 of 671937Primary SchoolCrombie FifeScotlandExtension
Item 44 of 671937SchoolCoaltown of Balgonie FifeScotlandAdditions
Item 45 of 671937SchoolKirkcaldy FifeScotland 
Item 46 of 671937SchoolLeven FifeScotland 
Item 47 of 671937The Priory, Junior Instruction CentreKirkcaldy FifeScotlandAs Fife County Architect
Item 48 of 671938Ballingry - Lochgelly SchoolLochgelly FifeScotland 
Item 49 of 671938Higher Grade SchoolBurntisland FifeScotland 
Item 50 of 671938Madras Parish School and teacher's residenceNewburgh FifeScotlandHarled front block
Item 51 of 671938Moonzie School and schoolhouseMoonzie FifeScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 52 of 671938Police StationThornton FifeScotland 
Item 53 of 671938Police Station and 94 North StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandAs County Architect
Item 54 of 671938Primary SchoolThornton FifeScotlandRear additions
Item 55 of 671938Primary SchoolSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 56 of 671938SchoolSt Andrews FifeScotlandExtension
Item 57 of 671938School HouseAuchterderran FifeScotlandPlans to be prepared for new school
Item 58 of 671938St Margaret's Chapel-SchoolDunfermline FifeScotlandAdditions
Item 59 of 671938Viewforth SchoolGallatown, Kirkcaldy FifeScotlandReinstatement, additions and alterations - as County Architect
Item 60 of 671938Wemyss Public SchoolEast Wemyss FifeScotlandExtensions
Item 61 of 671939Leslie Higher Grade SchoolLeslie FifeScotlandReconstruction and extensions
Item 62 of 671939Leslie Parish SchoolLeslie FifeScotlandPlans to be prepared for alterations and adiditons (domestic and housewifery departments)
Item 63 of 671939SchoolDunfermline FifeScotlandExtension and reconstruction
Item 64 of 671939SlaughterhouseLeven FifeScotland 
Item 65 of 671940Police StationFalkland FifeScotlandReconstruction and additions for new police offices and house
Item 66 of 671941Police StationAuchtermuchty FifeScotlandPlans in hand
Item 67 of 671942Cowdenbeath Police StationCowdenbeath FifeScotlandNew building?

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architect:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Evening Telegraph12 May 1948  Article titled ‘Built under his watchful eye’ recording Sandilands retiral.
Item 2 of 2Scotsman   Various dates.

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1H M Register HouseDeath Register