Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||William Malcolm Scott |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1870 |
|Died: ||May 1943 |
|Bio Notes: ||William Malcolm Scott was born in 1871 or 1872, the second son of Rev. John Scott, Camelon, Falkirk. No details of his training are as yet known. It would appear he worked as a draughtsman in the Edinburgh office of H M Office of Works in 1904 but by this date he had an office in Linlithgow so unless his work for the Office of Works was on a part-time basis, the William Scott in the Office of Works must be a different person. He set up independent practice in Linlithgow around 1900 and he remained in practice there until shortly before his death. |
Scott acted as burgh architect of Linlithgow 'since municipal housing was started' and was also county architect for West Lothian County council for the northern part of the county.
Outwith his prefessional life he was a Past Master of Lodge Ancient Brazen, No 17, Linlithgow, and a member of the provincial Grand Lodge. He was interested in all local sports and was widely known as a good golfer, curler and bowler. He was a founding member of Linlithgow Golf Club and played in all the curling bonspiels in the County and beyond. The ice rink behind the Town Hall in Linlithgow was laid out by Scott. He was a past president of the local bowling club and also took a keen interest in the County Cricket Club. He was a Fellow of the Stirling Society of Architects by 1939-40.
For four years prior to his death he 'laboured under a physical handicap which he bore with quiet fortitude'. His obituarist notes that he was 'kindly natured, unassuming and of strict principles'.
Scott died in May 1943 aged 72 years. He was survived by his wife and his son who was a banker in British Guiana and three daughters.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|141, High Street, Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland||Business||c. 1900|| || |
|112, High Street, Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland||Business||c. 1903||c. 1925|| |
|100, High Street, Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland||Business||c. 1926||After 1939|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|George Turner Watt||c. 1907||c. 1912||Apprentice|| |
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Linlithgow Business Directories|| ||Linlithgow Business Directories|| || || |
|RIBA||1939||The RIBA Kalendar 1939-1940|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Linlithgowshire Gazette||28 May 1943|| || ||p3. Obituary|
|Scotsman||26 May 1943|| || ||Obituary p3|