© All rights reserved.  Glasgow Institute of Architects 

Larger versions of these images are located at the foot of the page.

Basic Biographical Details

Name: John Thomson
Designation: Architect
Born: 1846
Died: 29 March 1912
Bio Notes: John Thomson was born in 1846 and was articled to his father, the architect James Thomson of Airdrie, c.1862 and his wife JAnet Miller. He was for a time an assistant in the office of Alexander Thomson, probably c.1865-67, and continued the Airdrie practice after his father's death in 1898. John died on 29 March 1912. He had been married twice, first to Susan Houston and second to Isabella Houston. The practice was continued by his sons, James, born 17 April 1878 and Alexander Houston Thomson, born 1 May 1882.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2Victoria Place, Airdrie, Lanarkshire, ScotlandPrivate/business(?)1896  
Item 2 of 2Largiemeanach, Drumgelloch Street, Airdrie, Lanarkshire, ScotlandPrivatec. 1912 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3James Thomsonc. 1862 Apprentice 
Item 2 of 3Alexander Thomsonc. 1865c. 1867Assistant 
Item 3 of 3James Thomson & SonsAfter 1867(?)1912Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 221874Royal Bank of ScotlandAirdrie LanarkshireScotland 
Item 2 of 221876Rutherglen Town HallRutherglen LanarkshireScotlandWorked in association with Kennedy and Dalgleish (probably this John Thomson)
Item 3 of 221880FruitfieldAirdrie LanarkshireScotland 
Item 4 of 221880RawyardsAirdrie LanarkshireScotland 
Item 5 of 221882Ebeneezer Congregational ChurchAirdrie LanarkshireScotland 
Item 6 of 22After 1892Airdrie County BuildingsAirdrie LanarkshireScotlandRestoration and alterations on three occasions
Item 7 of 22After 1892Villa for John KennedyAirdrie LanarkshireScotland 
Item 8 of 22After 1892Villa for R Adam EsqAirdrie LanarkshireScotland 
Item 9 of 22After 1897Cottages, farm steading etc, Cairnhill estateAirdrie LanarkshireScotland 
Item 10 of 22After 1897Cottages, farm steading etc, Carnbroe estateAirdrie (near) LanarkshireScotland 
Item 11 of 22After 1897Cottages, farm steading etc, Milnwood estateAirdrie (near) LanarkshireScotland 
Item 12 of 22After 1897Cottages, farm steading etc, Wester Moffat estateAirdrie LanarkshireScotland 
Item 13 of 22After 1897Cottages, farm steading etc, Woodhall estateAirdrie (near) LanarkshireScotland 
Item 14 of 22After 1897Ebeneezer Congregational ChurchAirdrie LanarkshireScotlandAlterations and decorations
Item 15 of 22After 1897Masonic HallBellshill LanarkshireScotland 
Item 16 of 22After 1897Villa for Colin BrownAirdrie? Lanarkshire?Scotland 
Item 17 of 22After 1897Villa for John MotherwellAirdrie? Lanarkshire?Scotland 
Item 18 of 22After 1897Villa for William McAllisterAirdrie? Lanarkshire?Scotland 
Item 19 of 22Late 1800sTenement, 2 East High StreetAirdrie LanarkshireScotland 
Item 20 of 221905Chapelside Primary SchoolAirdrie LanarkshireScotlandAddition - north wing
Item 21 of 22After 1906Airdrie County BuildingsAirdrie LanarkshireScotlandAlterations
Item 22 of 221910Sir John Wilson Town HallAirdrie LanarkshireScotlandWon competition to secure job

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2H M Register HouseDeath Register  
Item 2 of 2Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Typescript sent by Dr Philip McWilliams, 50 West George Street, Coatbridge, ML5 2BZ.

Images

© All rights reserved.  Glasgow Institute of Architects 

© All rights reserved. Glasgow Institute of Architects