Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||John Oldrid Scott & Son |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1904 |
|Ended: || |
|Bio Notes: ||John Oldrid Scott was born in 1841, the second son of George Gilbert Scott (later Sir, born 1811). He was articled to his father in 1860, becoming principal assistant by the later 1860s. Although in increasingly fragile health following a stroke and family bereavements, George Gilbert Scott remained firmly in charge of the practice until his sudden death from a heart attack on 27 March 1878. Despite having had no formal partnership with his father, John Oldrid Scott inherited the practice, and was admitted FRIBA on 2 December that same year, his proposers being Charles Barry Junior, George Edmund Street and Benjamin Ferrey. He completed his father's Scottish projects, modifying the design of the spire at the University of Glasgow and acting as consultant for new buildings at the university until 1901. He died on 30 May 1913. |
In his later years John Oldrid Scott was assisted by his son Charles Marriot Oldrid Scott, born in 1880. Charles Marriot Oldrid had been articled to Reginald Theodore Blomfield in April 1898, and returned to his father's practice in 1902. The following year he had obtained a place with George Frederick Bodley to widen his experience, before returning to his father's office as partner in 1904. He completed the spires of St Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh but, like his father, obtained no new Scottish commissions. He either did not attempt or did not pass the qualifying exam and was admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911, his proposers being George Luard Alexander, a colleague at Bodley's, Richard John Tyndall (both of whom had recently passed the qualifying exam and had been admitted ARIBA) and an elderly former assistant of his grandfather's, Charles Robert Baker King.
Charles Marriot Oldrid Scott died in 1952.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|2, Dean's Yard, Westminster, London, England||Business||1911 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.