Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||William Conradi |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||c. 1830 |
|Died: ||25 May 1894 |
|Bio Notes: ||Wilhelm (or William) Conradi was born in Germany about 1830. (At the time of his death in 1894 he was recorded as 64 years old). The 1871 census does not give the state prior to unification. Details of his training are lacking but he was engaged by George Gilbert Scott as a clerk of works on the Foreign Office in Whitehall from1862 and on St Andrew’s Church and Parsonage, Derby and St Peter’s, Edensor in 1864-66. (Glasgow University Archives 1156). |
On 17 October 1866 he was appointed clerk of works for the building of the new University of Glasgow buildings at Gilmorehill, the main contractor being Thompson of Peterborough. In March 1872 he appears to have sought a post with Alfred Waterhouse, but in the event he remained in Glasgow to supervise the building of Scott’s Episcopal Church of St Mary on Great Western Road in 1872-74.
While in Glasgow Conradi, lived at 6 Blomfield Place, Partick, now Great George Street, Hillhead.
Records show that Conradi married Ann Durrant in 1863. The couple had five daughters and one son. The two oldest daughters were born in Derbyshire in 1865 and 1866; the son and third daughter were born in 1868 and 1870 in Scotland; the fourth daughter was born in Hereford in 1874 and the youngest daughter born in Westcot, Buckinghamshire in 1876.
In the 1880s he worked as chief assistant to Sir Arthur William Blomfield and supervised the construction of the Memorial Church at Cannes, France.
Conradi died on 25 May 1894 as a result of an accident in early April. When he was measuring the interior of Watford Church, he fell from a pew and slipped to the ground.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Glasgow, Scotland||Business|| || || |
|Finborough Road, West Kensington, London, England||Private|| ||1894|| |
|Chirstchurch, Hampshire, England||Private/business||1881|| || |
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|Before 1867||University of Glasgow, main quadrangles||Gilmorehill|| ||Glasgow||Scotland||As resident clerk of works for George Gilbert Scott|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Cole, David||1980||The Work of Sir Gilbert Scott|| || ||pp154, 233|
|Grant, David||2005||Removal of the University of Glasgow to Woodlands Hill 1845-9 and Gilmorehill 1853-83|| ||Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, vol 135, pp 213-58||p 246|
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser||31 May 1894|| || ||p8|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Census records online||Censuses|| || |
|England and Wales||Births, marriages and deaths|| || |