Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||George Gilbert Scott and William Bonython Moffatt |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1838 |
|Ended: ||1845 |
|Bio Notes: ||George Gilbert Scott (b. 1811) met William Bonython Moffatt (b. 1812) when both were apprenticed to James Edmeston in London, Scott having entered the office in c.1826 followed by Moffatt in c.1829. Both also took classes with George Maddox. Scott left in 1831 to spend a year with the contractors Grissell & Peto, subsequently working with Henry Roberts and then, in 1834, taking an office in Carlton Chambers, Regent Street to help an architect friend Sampson Kempthorne with workhouses. Early in 1835 Scott's father died and he set up practice on his own, initially specialising in workhouses, assisted by Moffat. He took Moffatt into formal partnership in 1838. In the same year he married Caroline Oldrid. |
Scott built his first church in 1838. His reputation was established when he won the competition for the Martyrs' Monument at Oxford in 1840, and still more when he designed the large St Giles Camberwell in best Camden Society Gothic in 1842-44. In 1844 Scott made his first continental tour, and in the following year, 1845, he won the competition for the Nikolaikirche in Hamburg. In that same year Caroline Scott broke off the partnership with Moffat, who had become extravagant and unreliable, Scott thereafter largely abandoning the workhouse side of the practice to concentrate on church building.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|London, England||Business|| || || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.