Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Hugh Stewart |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||c. 1877 |
|Died: ||c. 1927 |
|Bio Notes: ||Hugh Stewart was born in 1876 and articled to Reid & Wittet of Elgin in 1893. He completed his articles at the end of 1896 and moved to Edinburgh to work as assistant to Rowand Anderson from 1897 to the earlier part of 1899, returning to Wittet as an assistant in the latter year, remaining until the end of 1900. In 1901 he moved to London as an assistant to Banister Fletcher & Sons, transferring to the office of Stevenson & Redfern where he remained from 1902-06, then to that of Francis W Troup (1907). Later that year hemoved to work with the metalwork sculptor Sir William Reynolds-Stephens, presumably to help with the architectural aspects of work on which he was then engaged. In 1908 he moved finally to the practice of Ernest Henry Abbott, also of London, at 6 Warwick Court, Gray's Inn. He was still there when he was admitted LRIBA on 20 March 1911, his proposers being Troup, Harry Redfern and Banister Flight Fletcher. |
There is a conflict of information in the details of where and when he worked in London. The Dictionary of Architects in Canada gives the following information based his application to , Archirectural Institute of British Columbia, 8 Sept. 1920: 'He articled in the office of Sir Rowand Anderson... from 1897 to 1900, then moved to London where he obtained a position as assistant to Sir Banister Fletcher (in 1901-02), with Gibson & Wallace (1902), with Francis W. Troup, FRIBA (in 1902-03), and with Stevenson & Redfern (1904-05), and later with Harry Redfern (in 1907-10)'.
Stewart emigrated to Canada sailing on 10 January 1913 and settled at Moose Jaw, Sask where he quickly found a position as an assistant to Richard G. Bunyard. In March 1913 they formed a partnership.
Stewart died about 1927.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|7, Regent Sqaure, St Pancras, London, England||Private||1901|| ||As boarder in this house|
|47, Artesian Road, London, England||Private||1911 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1893||Parish Offices||Elgin|| ||Morayshire||Scotland||As apprentice to A & W Reid & Wittet|
|1897||Glencoe House||Glencoe|| ||Inverness-shire||Scotland||As assistant to Robert Rowand Anderson|
|1897||Pollokshaws Burgh Hall||Pollokshaws|| ||Glasgow||Scotland||As assistant to Robert Rowand Anderson|
|1898||Nathaniel Stevenson Memorial Free Church||Belmont|| ||Glasgow||Scotland||As assistant to Stevenson & Redfern|
|1902||Free Church||Stirling|| ||Stirlingshire||Scotland||As assistant to Stevenson & Redfern|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|British Architectural Library, RIBA||2001||Directory of British Architects 1834-1914|| || || |
|http://dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org/|| ||http://dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org/|| || ||Information per Robert Hill|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L v15 no1025|