Basic Biographical Details

Name: William Barnet Wyllie
Designation: Architect
Born: 2 November 1879
Died: 30 April 1955
Bio Notes: William Barnet Wyllie was born at Kinghorn on 2 November 1879, the son of James Wyllie, inspector of the poor and his wife Jessie Barnet. He was educated at Kinghorn Public School and Kirkcaldy High School. He was articled to James Murray of Kirkcaldy from 1894 to 1899 and then became assistant to John Gershom Adams in Edinburgh. He must have been an excellent draughtsman as from these unpromising beginnings he obtained a place with Niven & Wigglesworth in London in 1902. In the following year he moved to the office of John Armitage and in 1904 to that of Francis George Fielden Hooper, both of London.

He passed the qualifying exam in 1906 and was admitted ARIBA on 4 March 1907, his proposers being Niven, Wigglesworth and Hooper. By that time he had obtained a post as assistant in H M Office of Works in London, where he remained for the following two to three years, before returning to Kirkcaldy to commence independent practice at 196 High Street in 1910. In 1911 he also appears to have had an office in Kinghorn.

Wyllie was mobilised in August 1914 as a Lieutenant in the Forth Heavy Garrison Artillery and was sent to France as Captain, 108 Siege Battery, in February 1916. He was promoted Major in the Field to command 150 Siege Battery but was wounded in August 1918 and invalided home. While serving in France he married in 1917 Mary Henderson, daughter of Peter Henderson.

Wyllie resumed practice in Kirkcaldy after the war, and appears to have formed a temporary partnership with William Williamson and William Syme c. 1920 for the purpose of housing scheme work, but in 1925 he relocated his office to 21 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, his home remaining in Kirkcaldy. His living and working arrangements were still the same when he was elected FRIBA on 8 May 1939, his proposers being William Williamson, Charles Geddes Soutar and Thomas Forbes Maclennan.

He died on 30 April 1955 at his home in Kirkcaldy. His wife Mary Henderson had predeceased him but he was survived by his daughter.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 767, Kennington Oval, London, EnglandPrivate1906 *  
Item 2 of 7196, High Street, Kirkcaldy, Fife, ScotlandBusiness19101919 
Item 3 of 7Kinghorn, Fife, ScotlandBusiness1911 *  
Item 4 of 765, Frederick Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1922c. 1925 
Item 5 of 710, St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1925c. 1928 
Item 6 of 721, St Andrew Square, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1928After 1950 
Item 7 of 726, Whytehouse Avenue, Kirkcaldy, Fife, ScotlandPrivate1939 *1955 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 7John Murray1 June 1894June 1899Apprentice 
Item 2 of 7John Gershom (or Gersham) AdamsSeptember 1899September 1902Assistant 
Item 3 of 7Niven & WigglesworthSeptember 1902September 1903Assistant 
Item 4 of 7John ArmitageSeptember 1903October 1904Assistant 
Item 5 of 7Francis George Fielden HooperOctober 1904November 1905Assistant 
Item 6 of 7H M Office of Works (later Ministry of Works, Department of the Environment and Property Services Agency)1905 or 19061909AssistantIn London office
Item 7 of 7Williamson, Wyllie & Syme1920 * Partner 

* earliest date known from documented sources.

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2James Frederick Hampton19101912Apprentice 
Item 2 of 2Robert Gillespie Meldrum19221926Apprentice 

RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 6Francis George Fielden Hooper4 March 1907for Associateship
Item 2 of 6Thomas Forbes Maclennan8 May 1939for Fellowship
Item 3 of 6David Barclay Niven4 March 1907for Associateship
Item 4 of 6Charles Geddes Soutar8 May 1939for Fellowship
Item 5 of 6Herbert Hardy Wigglesworth4 March 1907for Associateship
Item 6 of 6William Williamson8 May 1939for Fellowship

RIBA Proposals

This architect proposed the following individuals for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 1George Duns19 January 1943for Licentiateship

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 341913Golf Club FactoryKinghorn FifeScotlandOriginal building, and extensions
Item 2 of 341914Masonic HallBurntisland FifeScotland 
Item 3 of 34Before 191465 Nicol StreetKirkcaldy FifeScotland 
Item 4 of 34Before 1914Kinghorn SchoolKinghorn FifeScotlandAdditions
Item 5 of 34Before 1914Kirkcaldy and Dysart PoorhouseKinghorn FifeScotlandAlterations
Item 6 of 341919Kidds HallKirkcaldy FifeScotlandConversion of hall to cinema
Item 7 of 341919New ClubKirkcaldy FifeScotlandNew billiard room (c. 650)
Item 8 of 341920Fifty houses for Kirkcaldy Town CouncilKirkcaldy FifeScotlandFrew states Wyllie responsible
Item 9 of 341920Forty houses, Overton RoadKirkcaldy FifeScotland 
Item 10 of 341920Houses, Overton Road site, for Kirkcaldy Town CouncilKirkcaldy FifeScotland40 houses
Item 11 of 341920Housing schemeKinghorn FifeScotland 
Item 12 of 341920Thirty-two houses for Kinghorn Town Council, Glammis Castle siteKinghorn FifeScotland 
Item 13 of 341920Twenty-four houses for Kirkcaldy Town CouncilKirkcaldy FifeScotlandFrew states that Wyllie responsible.
Item 14 of 341923Burgher ChurchKirkcaldy FifeScotlandNew organ chamber and organ
Item 15 of 341923(?)Conversion of factory into shopsKinghorn? FifeScotland 
Item 16 of 341923(?)Dance Hall and Tea Rooms with 'layout'Kinghorn FifeScotland 
Item 17 of 341923Housing schemeKirkcaldy FifeScotland 
Item 18 of 341923Pathhead Parish ChurchPathhead, Kirkcaldy FifeScotlandExtension - new organ chamber with memorial window
Item 19 of 341924BungalowsSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 20 of 341924Semi-detached villas, Jeffrey Avenue  EdinburghScotland 
Item 21 of 341925Bungalows, Dirleton RoadNorth Berwick East LothianScotland 
Item 22 of 341925Terrace of five houses, David StreetKinghorn FifeScotland 
Item 23 of 341928Rialto Tea RoomsKirkcaldy FifeScotlandExtensions
Item 24 of 34After 1928Almondell Stables, conversion into house for Earl of Buchan  West LothianScotland 
Item 25 of 34After 1928BungalowLoanhead MidlothianScotland 
Item 26 of 34After 1928Clarendon Crescent, conversion of houses into flats  EdinburghScotland 
Item 27 of 34After 1928Earl of Buchan Estate, alterations and extensions to farms and farm cottages  West LothianScotland 
Item 28 of 34After 1928Eglinton Crescent, conversion of houses into flats  EdinburghScotland 
Item 29 of 34After 1928Four bungalows for Film Transport CompanyBroxburn West LothianScotland 
Item 30 of 34After 1928Great Stuart Street, conversion of houses into flats  EdinburghScotland 
Item 31 of 341931Garages and offices for Film Transport CompanyBroxburn West LothianScotland 
Item 32 of 341931House for R Jamieson EsqBarnton EdinburghScotland 
Item 33 of 341934Semi-detached bungalows, Station RoadBroxburn West LothianScotland 
Item 34 of 341937Orrock FarmBurntisland FifeScotlandnew cowhouse

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 6Measurers\' Companion1911The Scottish Architects' and Measurers' Companion   
Item 2 of 6Post Office Directories     
Item 3 of 6RIBA1939The RIBA Kalendar 1939-1940 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 
Item 4 of 6RIBA1950The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 
Item 5 of 6Scottish Biographies1938  E J Thurston (pub.) 
Item 6 of 6Who's Who in Architecture1914    

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2H M Register HouseDeath Register  
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers A v17 p100 (microfilm reel 19); F no3644 (box 26)