Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||John Brash |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||c. 1775 |
|Died: ||12 February 1848 |
|Bio Notes: ||John Brash was born c.1775, the son of a farmer at New Kilpatrick. Research by Iain Paterson has found a statement that he was the son of a Secession minister, but the Rev William Brash, minister of Campbell Street Burgher Church from 1815, appears to have been a brother or a nephew rather than a parent as he was considerably younger, born c.1793. |
Brash appears to have commenced practice in Glasgow c.1800, his first known work being the parish church at Strathblane, rebuilt in 1803.
His office was at 79 Stockwell Street by 1815, but it is not yet clear when he first established himself there. His most important work was Blythswood Square, built 1823-29, where the general arrangement was determined by a plan made by Gillespie Graham in 1820, while the elevations may have been derived from a scheme by William Burn. Modifying designs by others seems to have been a recurring pattern in Brash's later career.
On February 27 1808 he purchased 355 square yards on the south side of Garscube Highway and on 31 May 1833 he took 2136 square yards on the east side of Smith Street (later Otago Street), Hillhead.
Brash retired in 1838 or 1839 when he sold his house at Madeira Buildings, 269 Argyll Street. He married twice, but his second wife had also predeceased him and he had no family by either marriage. He retired to Falkirk to live with his sister, Mrs Cochran, in Chapel Lane. Whether he continued to practise in Falkirk is not known. He died on 12 February 1848 leaving moveable estate of £2,500, most of which derived from the sale of Madeira Buildings. His executrix was Mrs Cochran who appears to have been unable to write as she signed the executory papers with a cross.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|79, Stockwell Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1815 *|| || |
|Madeira Buildings/269, Argyll Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Private||Before 1827||1838 or 1839|| |
|269, Argyll Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||c. 1834|| || |
|Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Private||1848 *|| ||Place of retirement and death|
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|James Salmon (senior)||c. 1820||c. 1825||Apprentice|| |
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Colvin, H M||1995||A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840||3rd edition||New Haven and London: Yale University Press|| |
|Post Office Directories|| || || || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
| ||Callendar Park, Falkirk|| ||Executory papers|
|National Archives of Scotland (formerly SRO)||Sheriff Court Records|| ||SC 67/36/28, p.154|
|Professor David M Walker personal archive||Professor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material|| ||Information from Iain Paterson and William F T Anderson (solicitor, who deposited executory papers etc. at Callendar Park, Falkirk: letter 2 September 2006)|