Basic Biographical Details

Name: William C Joass & Son
Designation: Architectural practice
Started:  
Ended:  
Bio Notes: William Cumming Joass was born on 14 December 1833, the son of John Joass, North Mail Coach Guard, Inverness, and Elizabeth Cumming. He was the younger brother of Rev Dr James Maxwell Joass, minister of Golspie in Sutherland from 1866 to 1914, and noted antiquarian and geologist. In 1859 Alexander Ross of Inverness made him a partner in charge of his Dingwall office. The partnership was dissolved in 1865, Joass thereafter practising in Dingwall on his own account until his death in 1919, including a brief partnership c.1913 with a son, probably Alexander Garden Joass. He was also the father of John James Joass, born in 1868.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty, ScotlandBusiness   

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2William Cumming Joass1913 * Partner 
Item 2 of 2Alexander Garden Joass1913(?) * Partner(?) 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 21901Shop, 14 High StreetDingwall Ross & CromartyScotland 
Item 2 of 21913Dwelling HouseDingwall Ross and CromartyScotland 

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.