Basic Biographical Details

Name: Ross & Buchanan
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1920
Ended: May 1936
Bio Notes: William Ross was born on 5 August 1889 and was articled to Frank Burnet & Boston of Glasgow on 10 April 1905. He studied at the Glasgow School of Architecture and remained as junior assistant to Burnet & Boston after completing his apprenticeship, leaving in 1913 to join Watson & Salmond as assistant. He subsequently found further experience in the offices of civil engineer J Boyd Brodie and of the British Digestibles Corporation before moving to Stafford to work for Henry T Sandy and finally returning to Glasgow as assistant to Eric Alexander Sutherland. He left in 1920 to enter into partnership with Allan Pollock McKenzie Buchanan.

Allan Pollock McKenzie Buchanan was born at 100 Buccleuch Street, Glasgow on 29 April 1889, the son of William Mackenzie, master joiner, and his wife Maggie Mackenzie who came from Beith, Ayrshire. He studied at Glasgow School of Art 1906-1914, but it is not yet known to which practice he was articled.

By 1930 Ross had been admitted ARIBA. The partnership of Ross & Buchanan was dissolved in May 1936, Ross practising alone thereafter.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2137, West Regent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1928 *  
Item 2 of 2189, Pitt Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessBefore 1934May 1936 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2William Ross1920May 1936Partner 
Item 2 of 2Allan Pollock McKenzie Buchanan1920May 1936Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 121924Welfare InstituteCarmyle GlasgowScotland 
Item 2 of 121924Welfare InstituteBothwell LanarkshireScotland 
Item 3 of 121924Welfare InstituteFallin StirlingshireScotland 
Item 4 of 121927Burnbank UP ChurchHamilton LanarkshireScotlandAdditions, including halls
Item 5 of 121928Knightswood Road SchoolKnightswood GlasgowScotland 
Item 6 of 121933Craigend HouseRuchazie GlasgowScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 7 of 121934Houses for Balfron Building Co LtdBalfron StirlingshireScotland 
Item 8 of 121935Reconstruction of two tenementsBalfron StirlingshireScotlandCompleted after dissolution of partnership - unclear whether by Ross or by Buchanan
Item 9 of 121936Hall, stand, clubhouse and playing field for Ashfield Football & Athletic Club  GlasgowScotland 
Item 10 of 121936Thatched house for Miss Margaret K Brown, St MedansEast Kilbride LanarkshireScotland 
Item 11 of 12c. 1936(?)BroomlandsMilngavie DunbartonshireScotlandPresumably designed c.1936 or earlier; exhibited in 1937 in the name of Ross & Buchanan, the practice having been dissolved in 1936
Item 12 of 121939Premises for Toffalo Jackson & Co  GlasgowScotland 

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.