Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Archibald Thomas Lindsay |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||20 April 1915 |
|Died: ||15 November 1995 |
|Bio Notes: ||Archibald Thomas Lindsay was born on 20 April 1915, the son of William Lindsay, coal merchant, and his wife Mary Emily Lennie. In September 1933 he began the diploma course at the School of Architecture, Glasgow School of Art which consisted of three years of day classes and three years of evening classes. During part of this time he worked in the office of John Thomson King. During his summer vacations in 1933, 1934 and 1935 he made study tours in England, visiting cathedrals and buildings of architectural interest. |
After completing his diploma he would appear to have continued working with John Thomson King in Glasgow and living in Greenock. He was elected ARIBA on 13 December 1939, proposed by Thomas Harold Highes, Professor William James Smith and Thomas Johnston Beveridge. He was elected ARIAS
After the war Lindsay seems to have joined the practice of Launcelot Hugh Ross. He was invited to become a partner and he continued the practice after Ross's death in January 1956.
He was elected FRIAS in 1961 and about that time he was forced to retire as he had contracted Parkinson's Disease. He remained a member of the RIBA until 1977 when he resigned. By this date he had moved to Kilcreggan.
Lindsay died at Erskine Hospital, Bishipton, Renfrewshire on 15 November 1995, survived by his wife Mary Ruth Symondson, who had been a nurse.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|111, Union Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1930s|| ||John Thomson King's address.|
|Kincraig, Finnart Road, Greenock, Renfrewshire, Scotland||Private(?)||1939 *||After 1953|| |
|79, West Regent Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1956 *|| || |
|Viewfield, Kilcreggan, Dunbartonshire, Scotland||Private||1960 *|| || |
|Woodside, Barbour Road, Kilcreggan, Renfrewshire, Scotland||Private||Before 1961||1995|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|John Thomson King||1930s|| ||Assistant|| |
|Launcelot H Ross & Lindsay||1950s|| ||Partner|| |
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIAS, Rutland Square||Records of membership|| || |
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||A no7342 (Combined Box 185)|