Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Wright & Wylie |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1911 |
|Ended: ||1928 |
|Bio Notes: ||Alexander ('Sandy') Wright was born in 1877 and educated at Garnethill School where his classmates included Muirhead Bone, Albert Hodge and Alexander Hislop. In 1892 he commenced studies at Glasgow School of Art (which he continued until 1901) and entered the office of James Miller where he spent eighteen months as an office boy before being articled to John Hutchison, c.1894-98. Thereafter he was an assistant first with Clarke & Bell for three years c.1899-1902 and then with Alexander Cullen in Hamilton for eighteen months 1902-03 prior to emigrating to Montreal as assistant to Edward and William Sutherland with whom he remained for two and a half years, c.1903-06. He returned to Glasgow as a senior assistant to John Burnet & Son with whom he remained until he commenced independent practice at 147 Bath Street. |
In 1911 Wright took into partnership a colleague at Burnet's, Edward Grigg Wylie, and moved office to 212 Bath Street. Wylie had been born at 12 Raeberry Street, Glasgow on 11 April 1885, the son of Robert Wylie, commercial traveller and brush manufacturer and his wife Agnes Robinson Grigg. He had been articled to William Forsyth McGibbon 1900-05, during which period (from 1901) he had studied at Glasgow School of Art and the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, and from 1904 at the Glasgow School of Architecture where he took the full-time course and became close to Eugène Bourdon. At the end of his apprenticeship in 1905 he had won the RIBA Silver Medal and gained a place in the office of John Burnet & Son. During his time as apprentice and assistant he had undertaken five sketching tours in England and France, each of one month's duration. In 1909 Wylie had commenced practice on his own account, Bourdon having appointed him as part-time post at the Glasgow School of Architecture.
The practice was closed during the First World War. Wright served with the Royal Engineers, latterly in Italy, a country to which he was devoted. Wylie served with the Durham Light Infantry and was several times mentioned in despatches, gaining the MC and bar; he was also made a Chevalier of the Order of the Crown of Italy. The partnership was resumed in 1919. Wylie was appointed an instructor at Glasgow School of Art under Alexander McGibbon in that year, and admitted ARIBA under the war exemption scheme in 1920, his proposer being Sir John James Burnet. Wylie was appointed Professor of Architecture and head of the glasgow School of Architecture in succession to Eugène Bourdon who had died in 1916, but he resigned in 1921 after only one year because of his fast growing private practice. In 1927 Wright & Wylie moved to larger premises at 204 West Regent Street, business having grown enormously as a result of the competition wins for Hillhead High School and the Scots Legal Life Building. In 1928 Wylie's nephew, Frederick Robert Wylie was taken into partnership, the practice title now becoming Wylie Wright & Wylie, the changed precedence reflecting Wylie's leading role as both designer and job-getter.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|212, Bath Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1911||1927|| |
|204, West Regent Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1927||1928|| |
|1, Blythswood Square, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1929 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.