Basic Biographical Details

Name: Robert Paterson & Son
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: c. 1875
Ended: c. 1890
Bio Notes: Robert Paterson was born in 1825 and was the elder brother of John Paterson. He was articled to George Beattie, architect and builder, and commenced practice c.1859-60 at 6 (later 10) Hanover Street, Edinburgh. He came into prominence early at the Café Royal building with its innovative French roof in 1861-62, followed by some equally innovative polychromatic Italian Gothic churches in 1863-64. About 1875 Paterson's son, Robert Paterson, Junior, became a partner: by that date Paterson Senior was City Assessor.

The elder Robert Paterson died on 5 October 1889 and was buried at Grange Cemetery. The practice was continued by his son.

NB There is a conflict of information about the termination date of this practice. Some sources suggest it finished in c.1890 but Post Office directories indicate that it continued until about 1900.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 410, Hanover Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1875c. 1889 
Item 2 of 439, Frederick Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 18901894 
Item 3 of 433, Howe Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1895c. 1898 
Item 4 of 411, Brandon Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1899c. 1900 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4George Pringle  Assistant 
Item 2 of 4Robert Patersonc. 18761889Partner 
Item 3 of 4Robert Paterson (junior)c. 1876c. 1890Partner 
Item 4 of 4Robert WatsonOctober 18811884Apprentice 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 181876Portobello Cemetery and lodge housePortobello EdinburghScotland 
Item 2 of 181877Municipal and Police BuildingsPortobello EdinburghScotland 
Item 3 of 181877TenementPortobello EdinburghScotland 
Item 4 of 181878Canongate Christian Institute  EdinburghScotland 
Item 5 of 181878Tenements, Queen Charlotte Street and Maritme Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 6 of 181879Windsor Hotel and Shops, 100 -100A Princes Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 7 of 1818806 Strathearn Road  EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 8 of 1818806-8 Shandwick Place  EdinburghScotlandOriginal building
Item 9 of 181881Tenement block, 147-151 Warrender Park Road  EdinburghScotland 
Item 10 of 181881Tenement, Leslie Place and Carlton Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 11 of 18c. 1881Glasgow Municipal Buildings  GlasgowScotlandCompetition design entered under the pseudonym Centre of Commerce
Item 12 of 18188416 Queen Street  EdinburghScotlandRemodelling and new doorpiece
Item 13 of 181884Villa for Thomas Landale  EdinburghScotland 
Item 14 of 181885Showrooms, Castle Terrace  EdinburghScotlandProposed alterations
Item 15 of 181885Villa, 59 Dick Place  EdinburghScotland 
Item 16 of 181886130 Princes Street  EdinburghScotlandShopfront and other alterations and additions
Item 17 of 181886Warrender Baths  EdinburghScotland 
Item 18 of 181890Single storey shopsMorningside EdinburghScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Post Office Directories