Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||William Ogilvie |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1890s |
|Died: ||30 January 1939 |
|Bio Notes: ||William Ogilvie was born in the 1890s. He studied architecture at Edinburgh College of Art. He served with the Royal Scots during World War 1 for whom he designed a bookplate (the 9th Battalion) in 1919. At that time he was living and perhaps working at 10 Cameron Park. |
Not long after demobilisation he set up in practice on his own account at Forres Street, Edinburgh. In 1924 he was at 4 Forres Street, and in 1930 at 3 Forres Street; the latter addresses are the same as those of the Mears & Carus-Wilson practice, though his obituary states that he practised on his own account and not with Mears. In his work as an architect Ogilvie favoured the Scottish domestic style which he 'adapted with success to modern housing needs'.
From about 1931 until 1934 he was a partner in the practice Taylor & Ogilvie.
Outwith his professional life, Ogilvie wrote ppoetry in the Scots vernacular. His work has been published in a number of anthologies. He also enjoyed painting and was a 'shrewd judge of art'. He was a member of the Scottish Arts Club and spoke on poetry throughout Scotland.
Ogilvie died on 30 January 1939.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|46, Great King Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Private|| ||1939|| |
|10, Cameron Park, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||1919 *|| || |
|4, Forres Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||1924 *|| || |
|3, Forres Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||1930 or 1931 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|(Sir) Frank Charles Mears||Before 1924(?)||c. 1928(?)|| ||It seems likely that Ogilvie was employed by Mears since they shared the same address|
|Mears & Carus-Wilson||c. 1928(?)||After 1930(?)|| ||It seems likely that Ogilvie was employed by Mears & Carus-Wilson since they shared the same address|
|W B Taylor & Ogilvie||c. 1931||c. 1934||Partner|| |
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1925||Gamley House, Whitehouse Road||Barnton|| ||Edinburgh||Scotland|| |
|1925||Morningside Congregational Church and Halls||Morningside|| ||Edinburgh||Scotland||Design only - did not get the job (McLachlan appointed)|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Post Office Directories|| || || || || |