Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||J & A W Money |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||Before 1905 |
|Ended: ||c. 1914 |
|Bio Notes: ||James Money was born on 18 July 1875, the son of James Money, blacksmith and his wife Jane Walker. He was articled to David Valentine Wyllie of Glasgow in September 1892, studying at Glasgow School of Art and winning several awards for draughtsmanship. On completing his apprenticeship, he remained with Wyllie as an assistant for a short time before moving to the office of William Forsyth McGibbon. After a year there he moved to Aberdeen to work as a draughtsman in the design department of cabinetmaking firm Messrs James Ogilvie, returning to Glasgow in December 1899 to commence independent practice. By 1904 he was in partnership with his brother Alexander Walker Money (born at 199 Govan Road on 7 July 1878) as J & A W Money, their office being at 212 Hope Street. |
James was admitted LRIBA on 24 June 1912, by which date he had made two short visits to Belgium. He was proposed by John Bennie Wilson and the Glasgow Institute of Architects, having joined the Institute the previous year and been made a Fellow. His office was then at 131 West Regent Street and his home address at Grangemuir, Clarkston, Busby, Lanarkshire. The firm had developed into a large tenement and industrial practice but had withdrawn from the city centre to 60 Hill Street, Maryhill by 1914, probably as a result of the severe recession following the Finance Act of 1909. Alexander Walker Money appears to have died or emigrated at around the same time.
James Money married Helen Janet Strong and they had a son, Walter S. Money. James died at his home, 42 Clincart Road, Glasgow on 23 April 1939.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|212, Hope Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1904 *|| || |
|131, West Regent Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||Before 1909||c. 1914|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|James Money||Before 1904||c. 1914||Partner|| |
|Alexander Walker Money||Before 1904||c. 1914||Partner|| |
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1905||Denny Baptist Church||Denny|| ||Stirlingshire||Scotland|| |
|1908||Warehouse and furrier's workshop for H P MacNeill|| || ||Glasgow||Scotland|| |
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.