Basic Biographical Details

Name: Thoms & Wilkie
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: June 1901
Ended: 1975
Bio Notes: Patrick Hill Thoms was born in 1873 at Kilmacolm. His father Thomas Smith Thoms came of an old and very influential Angus family of farmers and solicitors. He was educated at Harris Academy, Dundee and articled to Charles & Leslie Ower in 1889, taking classes at Dundee Technical Institute and University College. After completing his apprenticeship he left to become an assistant to Thomas Martin Cappon, latterly managing his Brechin office. During that period he became influenced by William Gillespie Lamond who was a senior assistant in both the Ower and Cappon offices, although the years they spent there do not seem to have significantly overlapped as Lamond joined Cappon's office only when Thoms was leaving to set up practice in his own account in 1898, initially at 18 Commercial Street. In the same year, thanks to Cappon's activities as president of the Dundee Institute of Architects, he was appointed the first part-time lecturer in architecture at Dundee Technical College and School of Art, founding the Dundee School of Architecture.

In June 1901 Thoms went into partnership with a former colleague at Cappon's, William Fleming Wilkie. Born on 24 July 1876 of a landed family, the Wilkies of Mylnefield, Invergowrie, an estate which he ultimately inherited, Wilkie had been articled to Thomas Martin Cappon in 1892 and remained with him as an assistant until 1897. During that period he had taken classes at the Dundee Technical Institute. He had then gone to London as assistant to James Glen Sivewright Gibson, initially during his partnership with Samuel Bridgman Russell, leaving in 1900 to join the LCC Architects Department where he had worked under William Edward Riley and Owen Fleming. He had studied at the RA Schools and the Architectural Association throughout his period in London, until his return to Dundee in 1901 to join Thoms in partnership. The partnership flourished and moved to a larger office at 46 Reform Street in 1904, Wilkie had remodelled Kingoodie House for his own occupation in 1899. Thoms was not then married but lived at Grayburn, Benvie, a fine Arts and Crafts house he had built in 1907 for his father's retirement. Both partners were early recognised as having exceptional ability; Thoms was elected president of the Dundee Institute of Architects in 1904 at the very early age of thirty-one and Wilkie in 1910 when he was thirty-four: both were admitted FRIBA in 1906, Thoms's proposers being Leslie Ower, William Mackison and James Glen Sivewright Gibson and Wilkie's William Alfred Pite, Richard Phené Spiers and Gibson. Although neither had travelled abroad before commencing practice, Thoms had visited Holland, Belgium, Germany and France within the eight years prior to his admittance as Fellow.

Wilkie moved to Alleyne House, St Andrews about 1910 and subsequently about 1921 to Craigower also in St Andrews. An office was opened at 81 North Street there but Wilkie did not need to work and had little taste for post-war practice. Although he is said to have remained nominally a partner until 1930, he withdrew from Thoms & Wilkie's Dundee practice in 1923 and thereafter practised only from Craigower, his house in St Andrews, a move which coincided with the partnership's takeover of the practice of Captain William Walker who had died in that year. Some two years earlier the practice had moved to 21 South Tay Street, where it remained.

When Wilkie retired completely in 1925 Frank Pride was sent to St Andrews to manage the office there, but in 1927 it was closed, the business there passing to Pride. In the same year Thoms took into partnership Donald Ross, who had been his chief assistant since 1920. The name of the firm remained unchanged, however, and in 1934 Ross left to become a partner in the practice of Carver & Symon, which then became Carver Symon & Ross, Thoms taking on his nephew Thomas Hill Thoms as partner in the same year. Thomas Hill Thoms had been born on 21 October 1908 in Invergowrie, Perthshire and educated at Dundee High School and Morrison's Academy in Crieff. He had begun his architectural training with his uncle in 1925, studying at Dundee School of Architecture, and two years later had transferred to the office of Wright & Wylie (soon to become Wylie Wright & Wylie) in Glasgow, continuing his studies at the Glasgow School of Architecture where he qualified in 1932. In the latter year he was awarded the John Keppie scholarship which enabled him to spend two months travelling in Italy, as well as gaining second prize in the Rowand Anderson studentship. He was admitted ARIBA in late 1932, his proposers being his uncle, Charles Geddes Soutar and William Salmond, by which time he had returned to his uncle's practice. Patrick was a member of the Council of the Dundee Institute of Architects c.1930, and Thomas c.1939.

Thomas Hill Thoms served with the Royal Engineers during the Second World War but was invalided out having obtained the rank of Captain, thereafter returning to the family firm.

Patrick Hill Thoms died on 11 January 1946 leaving estate of £5174 8s 8d, his wife having predeceased him in 1932. Thomas Hill Thoms continued the practice under the same name thereafter, purchasing the fine house his uncle had built for himself - Greywalls, Binrock, Perth Road, Dundee - a quarter of a century later. He was elected FRIBA on 4 April 1950, proposed by John Needham, Graham Conacher Young and John Donald Mills. In 1957 he was elected President of the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland, the youngest man at that date to hold the office.

William Fleming Wilkie died at St Joseph's Nursing Home, Oxford on 23 July 1961, his ashes being interred in Longforgan Churchyard. He was survived by his wife Christine and daughters Elspeth, June and Marguerite. Thomas Hill Thoms died on 10 April 1987. He was survived by his wife Sheila and his two sons and a daughter.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 418, Commercial Street, Dundee, ScotlandBusiness19011904 
Item 2 of 446, Reform Street, Dundee, ScotlandBusiness19041921 
Item 3 of 421, South Tay Street, Dundee, ScotlandBusiness19211975 
Item 4 of 481, North Street, St Andrews, Fife, ScotlandBusinessAfter 19211927Branch office

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 34William Fleming WilkieJune 19011930PartnerEffectively retired in 1923 but remained an official partner until 1930
Item 2 of 34Patrick Hill ThomsJune 19011946Partner 
Item 3 of 34Alexander MacLauchlan Duncan19041905Junior assistant 
Item 4 of 34James Mollison Wilson19091910Assistant 
Item 5 of 34Charles Stuart Macnab19101912Assistant 
Item 6 of 34George Christie Morton19121919Chief AssistantWith the exception of war service, May 1915 to 1919 (back in office for only a few months after the war)
Item 7 of 34Douglas Prain Bruce1914 Apprentice 
Item 8 of 34Arthur George Wright Ogilvie19161917Apprentice 
Item 9 of 34Frank Pride19191925Apprentice(?) 
Item 10 of 34Donald (F?) Ross19201 January 1927Chief Assistant 
Item 11 of 34John Ramsay GordonBefore 19201920Assistant 
Item 12 of 34Thomas Shepherd Morris1921c. 1925Apprentice 
Item 13 of 34Robert Dron19231924Assistant 
Item 14 of 34David Proctor BeeApril 1923May 1925Apprentice 
Item 15 of 34Ian Roger DalgettyAugust 1924August 1929Apprentice 
Item 16 of 34David Alexander Murray19251926ApprenticeIn St Andrews office
Item 17 of 34Thomas Hill Thoms19251927Apprentice 
Item 18 of 34Frank Pride1925April 1927ArchitectIn charge of branch office in St Andrews
Item 19 of 34Thomas Shepherd Morrisc. 19251926Assistant 
Item 20 of 34Sydney Zimmermann19271932Apprentice 
Item 21 of 34Donald (F?) Ross1 January 19271934Junior Partner 
Item 22 of 34David Wilson Spreull19281930Apprentice 
Item 23 of 34William Fraser MilneAugust 1929 Apprentice 
Item 24 of 34Alexander Arthur Robin1931Before 1933Assistant 
Item 25 of 34Thomas Hill Thoms19321934Assistant(?) 
Item 26 of 34Sydney Zimmermann19321934Assistant 
Item 27 of 34Thomas Hill Thoms1934 Partner 
Item 28 of 34Ian Brown KinnearJuly 19371938 or 1939Assistant 
Item 29 of 34James Douglas Nairn19471975Partner 
Item 30 of 34(Professor) Charles Calthorpe Robertson19521954Assistant Architect 
Item 31 of 34Douglas Nairn19641979Partner 
Item 32 of 34John Kirkwood Wilson (or Jack Wilson)1968 or 19691975Partner 
Item 33 of 34Trevor Black1970s Partner 
Item 34 of 34James Fraser AndersonAfter 19701982Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 128 Angus Folk MuseumGlamis Angus Conversion
Item 2 of 1281901Balruddery House  AngusScotlandStudio and curling club house
Item 3 of 1281901DunlappieEdzell AngusScotlandTook over from Deas - may have been influenced by Deas' work and perhaps adapted from his design
Item 4 of 1281901St Paul's Free Church  DundeeScotlandAlterations; organ case; new doorway to Nethergate
Item 5 of 1281902Edzell Parish ChurchEdzell AngusScotland 
Item 6 of 1281902Grange Golf Club HouseMonifieth AngusScotland 
Item 7 of 1281902Longforgan UF ChurchInvergowrie Perthshire/AngusScotlandMemorial tablet
Item 8 of 1281902South UF ChurchKirriemuir AngusScotland 
Item 9 of 1281903Doctor's houseLiff AngusScotland 
Item 10 of 1281903Drumgeith  Dundee (near)ScotlandComplete remodelling of plain late Georgian house
Item 11 of 1281904BaldragonDownfield Dundee (near)Scotland 
Item 12 of 1281904Bowling Green Club HouseInvergowrie Perthshire/AngusScotland 
Item 13 of 1281904Clepington UF ChurchClepington DundeeScotlandPlaced first in competition but did not secure the job
Item 14 of 1281904Cottages, Wortley Place  DundeeScotland 
Item 15 of 1281904Muirhead of Liff SchoolMuirhead of Liff AngusScotlandAddition to old building; new building
Item 16 of 1281904Offices, Monifieth FoundryMonifieth AngusScotland 
Item 17 of 1281904The HirselNinewells DundeeScotland 
Item 18 of 1281905Grayburn HouseBenvie DundeeScotland 
Item 19 of 1281905LuthriebankLuthrie FifeScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 20 of 1281905MorarNinewells DundeeScotland 
Item 21 of 1281905Newburgh UF ChurchNewburgh FifeScotland 
Item 22 of 1281906Blocks of dwelling houses, Wolseley StreetClepington DundeeScotland 
Item 23 of 1281906Kinpurnie CastleNewtyle AngusScotlandShooting lodge, entrance lodge, stable & garage
Item 24 of 1281906Longforgan UF ChurchInvergowrie Perthshire/AngusScotlandAddition of tower and apse
Item 25 of 1281906MurrayfieldPittenweem FifeScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 26 of 1281906Nyora  DundeeScotland 
Item 27 of 1281907County BuildingsCupar FifeScotlandExtension to east - won 1907 competition to secure job; work executed 1924-5
Item 28 of 1281908St John's Episcopal Church and Halls  DundeeScotlandChurch refurnished and altered
Item 29 of 1281909Lochee Cabinet FactoryLochee DundeeScotlandAlterations - new front
Item 30 of 1281910Gartmore House  PerthshireScotlandAdditions
Item 31 of 1281910The ElmsLongforgan PerthshireScotland 
Item 32 of 1281910Villa, 1 Hazel Drive  DundeeScotland 
Item 33 of 1281910Villa, 1 Lawside Road  DundeeScotland 
Item 34 of 1281910Westerlea, St Colme's, GlomachLongforgan PerthshireScotland 
Item 35 of 128c. 1910Kellyfield House  DundeeScotlandReconstruction
Item 36 of 128c. 1910Lamb's Temperance Hotel  DundeeScotlandNew interiors mainly coffee room
Item 37 of 1281911The Boreen  DundeeScotland 
Item 38 of 1281912Fairmuir Special SchoolFairmuir DundeeScotlandAwarded second place in competition
Item 39 of 1281912Grange CottageMonifieth AngusScotlandExtension and remodelling of earlier mill house
Item 40 of 1281912Longforgan Parish Church and churchyardLongforgan PerthshireScotlandRe-ordering and extension of churchyard with lychgate
Item 41 of 1281912Milton HouseMonifieth AngusScotlandExtension and remodelling of earlier mill house known as Grange Cottage to form hotel
Item 42 of 1281912Pair of villas, Ashlea and MaywoodLongforgan PerthshireScotlandAttribution by HS
Item 43 of 12819134 Farington Street  DundeeScotland 
Item 44 of 1281913FerncroftBarnhill DundeeScotland 
Item 45 of 1281913Fleuchar Craig Works, offices  DundeeScotland 
Item 46 of 1281913Scott Street works  DundeeScotland 
Item 47 of 1281915Parish ChurchEassie & Nevay AngusScotlandAlterations to windows at W
Item 48 of 1281915The PrioryCrail FifeScotland 
Item 49 of 1281916Drumgarth  Dundee, nearScotland 
Item 50 of 1281916Tay Park  DundeeScotlandNew north west wing
Item 51 of 1281919Logie Housing Scheme  DundeeScotlandDesigned some areas within Logie.
Item 52 of 1281920Bakery at Lytton Street  DundeeScotland 
Item 53 of 128c. 1920Cottages at KingoodieKingoodie AngusScotland 
Item 54 of 128c. 1920House for WrightCarnoustie AngusScotland 
Item 55 of 128c. 1920Morgan's Hospital  DundeeScotlandWar memorial
Item 56 of 128c. 1920St Paul's (South Church), War Memorial for 4th Black Watch  DundeeScotland 
Item 57 of 128c. 1920The Hermitage, 1 Graham StreetMontrose AngusScotlandAttribution by Paul Mitchell
Item 58 of 128c. 1920Town's Churches, St Mary's Church and church hall  DundeeScotlandBlack Watch war memorial
Item 59 of 1281921Abbey Park Housing EstatePittenweem FifeScotlandCompletion of job after Walker's death
Item 60 of 1281921House for E Macgregor  DundeeScotland 
Item 61 of 1281922Lochee Bedding Factory  DundeeScotland 
Item 62 of 1281922Rosemount HouseBlairgowrie PerthshireScotlandAlterations
Item 63 of 1281922Victoria Café and Tea GardenSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 64 of 1281923Double villas, Kennedy Gardens and Donaldson GardensSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 65 of 1281923Gordon LodgeSt Andrews FifeScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 66 of 1281923Tom Morris HouseSt Andrews FifeScotlandNew bathroom wing
Item 67 of 1281923West ParkSt Andrews FifeScotlandAlterations
Item 68 of 128Before 1923Wallacetown Parish Church, war memorial  DundeeScotland 
Item 69 of 1281924108 Market StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandShopfront
Item 70 of 128192516 Wortley PlaceMaryfield DundeeScotlandReconstruction
Item 71 of 1281925Cottage, Priory AcresSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 72 of 1281925House, 1 Panmure PlaceMontrose AngusScotland 
Item 73 of 1281925Police sergeant's house, police cells, charge room etcCupar FifeScotland 
Item 74 of 128c. 1925House for John Tattersall  DundeeScotland 
Item 75 of 128c. 1925Semi-detached houses, Hyndford Street  DundeeScotland'Style of' (HS)
Item 76 of 1281926Hamewith  DundeeScotland 
Item 77 of 1281926Harris Academy, Perth Road  DundeeScotlandWon competition to secure job. (Design by Donald Ross)
Item 78 of 1281926House and Garage for P S Low  DundeeScotland 
Item 79 of 1281927House for Very Reverend Provost A C Don  DundeeScotland 
Item 80 of 1281928Lochee Cabinet FactoryLochee DundeeScotlandAlterations
Item 81 of 1281928Milton HouseMonifieth AngusScotlandFurther work
Item 82 of 1281928The Ridges, Farington Hall estate  DundeeScotlandWith Donald Ross as assistant
Item 83 of 1281928 or 1946(?)West End GarageBroughty Ferry DundeeScotlandMay have done the 1928 and/or the 1946 work
Item 84 of 1281929Aerated Water Factory and Office  DundeeScotland 
Item 85 of 1281929British and Argentine Meat Company Limited PremisesHawkhill DundeeScotlandAlterations
Item 86 of 1281929Grey Walls  DundeeScotland 
Item 87 of 1281929House at RosemountBlairgowrie PerthshireScotland 
Item 88 of 1281929Rosemount HouseBlairgowrie PerthshireScotlandGrieve's house
Item 89 of 1281929St David's in the North Church of Scotland  DundeeScotlandSuperseded scheme by Todd & Miller
Item 90 of 1281930Bellfield Street RC School  DundeeScotland 
Item 91 of 1281930Panmure VillaBroughty Ferry DundeeScotlandAlterations
Item 92 of 128c. 1930St Roque's garage  DundeeScotlandReconstruction and extension
Item 93 of 1281932South Mills (or South Mill)  DundeeScotlandAlterations
Item 94 of 1281933Garage, Shaftsbury Road  DundeeScotland 
Item 95 of 1281933SunningdaleStannergate, West Ferry DundeeScotland 
Item 96 of 1281934Draffen's Department Store extension, Nethergate  DundeeScotlandNew block on Nethergate and other work following a fire at the original site
Item 97 of 128After 1934House for Stirling DraffenLongforgan PerthshireScotland 
Item 98 of 1281936Bruce HotelCarnoustie AngusScotlandAlterations
Item 99 of 1281936House, Marchfield Road  DundeeScotland 
Item 100 of 1281937House for Very Reverend Provost A C Don  DundeeScotland 
Item 101 of 1281937LincroftBlairgowrie PerthshireScotland 
Item 102 of 1281937Tay Ropeworks  DundeeScotlandAlterations
Item 103 of 1281938Cottages at the GrangeMonifieth AngusScotland 
Item 104 of 1281939St Margaret's Episcopal Church and hallLochee DundeeScotlandHall added. Gifford gives 1948-49.
Item 105 of 1281945Bruce HotelCarnoustie AngusScotlandAlterations
Item 106 of 1281947Housing schemes for Carnoustie Town CouncilCarnoustie AngusScotland 
Item 107 of 1281947Housing schemes for Perthshire County Council  PerthshireScotland 
Item 108 of 1281948St Margaret's Episcopal Church and hallLochee DundeeScotlandSugden's design completed to a different and curtailed design.
Item 109 of 1281949Garden Works  DundeeScotlandLarge extension
Item 110 of 1281957(?)Dundee High School  DundeeScotlandInterior remodelling. Per Builder p654
Item 111 of 12819 April 1957Klean Wear Services, Ltd, Factory  DundeeScotlandper Builder p752
Item 112 of 1281958St John's RC High SchoolDudhope DundeeScotland 
Item 113 of 1281959Camperdown Church and Hall  DundeeScotland 
Item 114 of 1281961Menzieshill Parish Church  DundeeScotland 
Item 115 of 1281967Dundee Technical College, Kydd Building  DundeeScotland 
Item 116 of 1281969Dundee High School, gymnasium block  DundeeScotlandBrick extension to W
Item 117 of 1281969George Morton's Bond  DundeeScotlandFurther work
Item 118 of 1281969Lochee Cabinet FactoryLochee DundeeScotlandFurther alterations - also later
Item 119 of 128Late 1960sChalmers Ardler ChurchArdler DundeeScotland 
Item 120 of 1281970Whitfield Parish Church and HallWhitfield DundeeScotland 
Item 121 of 1281972Dundee College Gardyne Road CampusBroughty Ferry AngusScotland 
Item 122 of 1281973St Andrew's Church  Dundee Halls joined to church at E
Item 123 of 128Early 1970s(?)Ashludie HouseMonifieth AngusScotlandGeriatric and Rehabilitation Unit
Item 124 of 128Early 1970sDundee College of EducationWest Ferry DundeeScotland 
Item 125 of 128Early 1970s(?)Dundee Technical Institute  DundeeScotlandExtension
Item 126 of 128Early 1970s(?)Kirkcaldy Burgh Infectious Diseases HospitalKirkcaldy FifeScotlandGeriatric Unit/Day Hospital
Item 127 of 128Early 1970sMorrison's AcademyCrieff PerthshireScotlandAddition of boarding houses
Item 128 of 128Early 1970sUniversity of Dundee, Chemistry, Sports and Botanical Buildings  DundeeScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Municipal Annual1964Scottish Municipal Annual1964-1965  
Item 2 of 3Pride, Glen L1999The Kingdom of Fife2nd EditionThe Rutland Pressp146, p191
Item 3 of 3RCAHMS1992Dundee on Record RCAHMSp49